Help Me :D (1 Viewer)

smittenkitten

Poopinator
ARgh....damn me for leaving this assignment till the last possible minute.

Q: What is the state of sulfur dioxide at room temperate? Why?

Thank you lifesavers!

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by BigngryWoman
Q: What is the state of sulfur dioxide at room temperate? Why?
thats your assignment? how long of a answer do you need?

a short answer would be: sulfur dioxide is a colorless gas with a suffocating, choking odor. since it has boiling point -10 C, at room temperature (which is 25 C) it is a gas.

kini mini

HSC
Info on sulfur dioxide can be found in your SI Chemical data book, or a quick google search will do it...

If you need more info, see here

From the wording, seems like the same place abdoooo got the info from :).

smittenkitten

Poopinator
I dont have a data book. The marks alloted to it were 3marks...:eek: It was only one part of the assignment. There were other uestions (excuse the lack of the letter cue my keyboard broke) and essays.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
if its a three mark question, you should probably write more. write something about SO2's intermolecular forces. say that it does not have H-bonding and say that it contains despersion and is slightly polar. because of SO2 molecular geometry is bent and S is more electropositive than O resulting in dipole to dipole force. then relate this to its low boiling of -10 C.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
actually i remembered that from one of the notes that i got... which is exactly the same as that site :eek:.
LOL well your teacher's favourite site then ;)

say that it contains despersion and is slightly polar. because of SO2 molecular geometry is bent and S is more electropositive than O resulting in dipole to dipole force. then relate this to its low boiling of -10 C.
Do you mean dispersion forces? Everything has those, it's worth mentioning but not an explanation for this specific case :). Good answer, but I would rephrase it, saying that O is more electronegative than S (it's the canonical form :) ), therefore slight dipoles form, therefore the molecule is polar...

This site gives a great explanation, including the resonance structures may get you Brownie points because most people haven't heard of them :).

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by kini mini
Do you mean dispersion forces? Everything has those, it's worth mentioning but not an explanation for this specific case :). Good answer, but I would rephrase it, saying that O is more electronegative than S (it's the canonical form :) ), therefore slight dipoles form, therefore the molecule is polar...
yeah i meant to say dispersion forces, i always miss a word or two in exams and then lose marks for it :(.

but electropostive sounds better... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)