help - eddy currents (1 Viewer)

Solid_007

HSC
N/A
plz help me

I'm having trouble in answering the following questions, i was wondering if anybody can help me with them

1. What are Eddy currents and how do they relate to Lenzs Law ?
2. Explain how eddy currents have been used in electromagnetic braking

Thanks in advance

Affinity

HSC
briefly(this is not enough):
Eddy currents are currents induced in a piece of metal due to the change of magnetic field through it. Eddy currents induced in the piece of metal would it self produce a field which opposes the change in magnetic field according to lenz's law.

The induced eddy currents not only opposes the change in field, but also opposes the motion of the piece of metal, and this is applied to electromagnetic braking.

INSERT DIAGRAM. :D

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
1. An eddy current is a closed loop current that flows in a conductor, such as the iron core of a coil of an electromagnetic brake plate, when there is relative motion between the object and a magnetic field. The eddy current, flowing in a closed loop, acts like the current in a coil or solenoid and produces its own magnetic field. The polarity of this magnetic field depends on the direction in which the eddy current circulates
Lenz's Law says if an induced current flows, its direction is always such that it will oppose the change of flux that produces it. That is, the polarity of the magnetic field produced by the eddy current is such that it opposes the relative motion of the magnetic field that induced the eddy current.

2. Eddy currents are used in electromagnetic braking, especially in high speed trains. An electromagnet can be placed near the rotating wheel. This will result in eddy currents being induced, which will oppose the motion of the wheel. This produces a braking effect. Consequently, a smooth stop can be obtained by using electromagnetic braking. The rotational kinetic energy is converted to heat energy.
Advantages of electromagnetic braking are that there is no friction involved and there is no wear and tear due to moving parts. Electromagnetic braking works very well for high speed roller coasters and trains.

overwhelming

okay here is my question.

How do you determine when an eddy current is induced as opposed to just an induced current?

Affinity

HSC
compare(eddy currents, induced current)

output -> same sh*t

the difference is where the current is induced, if it is induced in a metal core and completes a circuit without much resistance, it would be called an eddy current, while if it is induced in a wire, it's not.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
true...

also, how is the effect used:

eddy current: mainly used to heat up or slow down the relative motion...

induced currently: used to generate emf...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)