hedging question (1 Viewer)

poptarts12345

HSC
In the textbook it says that one method of establishing a natural hedge can be achieved by "arranging for import payments and export receipts denominated in the same foreign currency; hence any losses from a movement in the exchange rate will be offset by gains from the other. " However, I am a bit confused can someone explain how arranging payments and receipts denominated in the same currency such as USD minimise the currency fluctuation risk for an Australian business?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If there is a currency fluctuation that does not go in the favour of the Australian business (which in this case would be a depreciation of the Australian dollar), the Australian business could be at risk, provided it is using the AUD to complete a transaction/multiple transactions between itself and the foreign business. In such a case, the Australian business would have to pay more AUD to retain its ability to purchase the same goods/services from the foreign business, causing losses due to the depreciation of the AUD. In such a case, an Australian business can instead choose to deal with its foreign counterpart using a currency that is less prone to fluctuations, i.e. a more stable currency, the USD being a good example of such a currency, in order to address the issue (which implies negating any potential risk resulting from currency fluctuations by replacing the "dodgy" currency with a more stable one).

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)