hec help thing? or also the CSP thing idk wth that is. (1 Viewer)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
I have no clue what this is and im supposed to do it when enrolling to unsw and stuff but its so much reading and u need so much random stuff like a tax file number, apply separate for each idfk and have to read 2 websites full of info and a 24 page booklet
pls help

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
HECS-HELP is the loan you're getting to pay your student contribution amount* and that starts getting paid off once ur income reaches a certain amount

if ur a CSP student then ur entitled to HECS-HELP. if you're a fee-paying student then ur entitled to FEE-HELP which works the same way, CSP places are subsidised by the govt so some of the cost of study is taken care of by the govt and you don't have to pay it back (the rest of it you obviously do, e.g. through HECS-HELP), fee-paying places are not subsidised and students have to pay the full cost of their study (can still apply for FEE-HELP)

*student contribution amount is the rest (and I think majority) of the cost of study that you need to pay, given some of it is govt subsidised (for CSP students only)

all you need to apply for HECS-HELP is a tax file number so apply asap if you haven't, the rest of ur enrolment should be easy

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
HECS-HELP is the loan you're getting to pay your student contribution amount* and that starts getting paid off once ur income reaches a certain amount

if ur a CSP student then ur entitled to HECS-HELP. if you're a fee-paying student then ur entitled to FEE-HELP which works the same way, CSP places are subsidised by the govt so some of the cost of study is taken care of by the govt and you don't have to pay it back (the rest of it you obviously do, e.g. through HECS-HELP), fee-paying places are not subsidised and students have to pay the full cost of their study (can still apply for FEE-HELP)

*student contribution amount is the rest (and I think majority) of the cost of study that you need to pay, given some of it is govt subsidised (for CSP students only)

all you need to apply for HECS-HELP is a tax file number so apply asap if you haven't, the rest of ur enrolment should be easy
how do i know whos csp
also how long it take for tax file number
can j just live in the jungle

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
idk in the unsw portal thing can i continue then do it later or so i have to get my tax number now and do it before i can move on

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
how do i know whos csp
also how long it take for tax file number
can j just live in the jungle
you're csp for sure
international students are usually not csp
with the tfn I think it takes like 2 weeks? idk how long I had to wait for mine
you'll be fine worry not 🙏🏽🙏🏽

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
idk in the unsw portal thing can i continue then do it later or so i have to get my tax number now and do it before i can move on
it should be possible to continue and come back later to fill in the tfn when you have it, but im not sure I forgot everything abt this

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
whats the purpose of hecs help?

i heard that it accumulates interest anyways so isnt it better to just pay on the spot?
uni tuition is expensive and unless you're rich rich rich rich you won't be able to pay for the full thing upfront so the best thing about it is that you don't have to pay it back until you reach a certain income threshold, it does earn interest tho as with all official loans and stuff like that

for ur second point ur probably talking about SA help, for unsw it's like a little over $100 per term and it's due at the end of term so you can just pay it upfront then so it's best u don't take the loan even tho it's available

idkkdi

HSC
whats the purpose of hecs help?
i heard that it accumulates interest anyways so isnt it better to just pay on the spot?
uni tuition is expensive and unless you're rich rich rich rich you won't be able to pay for the full thing upfront so the best thing about it is that you don't have to pay it back until you reach a certain income threshold, it does earn interest tho as with all official loans and stuff like that

for ur second point ur probably talking about SA help, for unsw it's like a little over $100 per term and it's due at the end of term so you can just pay it upfront then so it's best u don't take the loan even tho it's available
hecs is indexed at inflation so essentially it is free money based on economics

Last edited:

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
it doesn't accumulate interest, but it gets adjusted for inflation or the increase in cost of living each year. so yea ur actually better off paying off ur debt as you go, even if it's just some of it. I plan to pay a bit off my undergrad vv soon

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
thanks why r u awake

wait u havent paid ur undergrad yet? im confused gow much does uni cost this isnt america right i thought uni was quite cheap for like most degrees ??
prayed tahajjud
I haven't my undergrad cost me 26k total rip. this is cheap compared to uni in america I'm sure but it's still a lot and I'm poor👍since I'm largely broke I don't need to pay anything off till I finish uni, however I got some savings that idm using to start reducing my burden from now

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
prayed tahajjud
I haven't my undergrad cost me 26k total rip. this is cheap compared to uni in america I'm sure but it's still a lot and I'm poor👍since I'm largely broke I don't need to pay anything off till I finish uni, however I got some savings that idm using to start reducing my burden from now
fair i thought uni was free at the start of y12 icl

HSC
thanks why r u awake

wait u havent paid ur undergrad yet? im confused gow much does uni cost this isnt america right i thought uni was quite cheap for like most degrees ??
Australia uni is crazy cheap compared to america lol, idk about other fields but for engineering/stem-related courses, it's ~1k per course as a CSP student which totals to ~9-10k/yr if you're full-time
you can check the cost of your courses in the unsw handbook

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)