Has advertising here gotten you many good students? (1 Viewer)

Have you found any good students/tutors through here?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Maybe (in case there are shades of grey for some reason)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lainee

HSC
So it seems that anyone and everyone who got a Band 6 in anything is advertising their tutoring services in this forum. :) So has it worked? Anyone actually found a long-term student/tutor through here.

Personally, I find the best way of getting students is when a current student brings in friends/family or one of my old tutors refers students to me. In that way, new students know my practical experience as a tutor from their referees and I know I'm getting quality students who will turn up to classes and have generally good character (eg. won't swear at me or steal from my house ;) ).

Gryphondarks

Sith Lord
HSC
hahaha if u dont want ppl to steal from ur house then dont tutor ppl there! also it depends very much on waht you're tutoring. ppl dont want english tutoring as often as they do for maths, given the nature of the subject. and some ppl just think you're gona sit there writing essays for them... which a tutor could do but would be so much in breach of the process of learning - i mean, the kid's gona have to sit the hsc, no tutor to help!

nit

HSC
I agree with that - it's easier to find regular, willing tutees in maths as opposed to any other subject. Especially Maths extension 2.

Lainee

HSC
Gryphondarks said:
hahaha if u dont want ppl to steal from ur house then dont tutor ppl there! also it depends very much on waht you're tutoring. ppl dont want english tutoring as often as they do for maths, given the nature of the subject. and some ppl just think you're gona sit there writing essays for them... which a tutor could do but would be so much in breach of the process of learning - i mean, the kid's gona have to sit the hsc, no tutor to help!
I prefer tutoring at my house because then I don't have any travelling costs, I can get extra photocopies of things when I need them, I have access to all my textbooks and notes and I teach groups so it's difficult to organise one house to go to. All these advantages balanced against the possibility of some wayward kid stealing... it's worth it. :)

I'm tutoring English at the moment and I think there's actually more of a demand for English teachers.
1. It's a more difficult subject to teach - ie. I can't just print off my HSC notes and give it to the students, or just photocopy parts from textbooks. I need to write my own material (eg. essay or comprehension questions) a lot of the time.
2. There are fewer English tutors than Maths tutors.
3. All my students are from non-English speaking backgrounds, and in general those students tend to need more help in English than others.
4. It is much harder to find a good quality English tutor, so when you do you not only stick to that one but also tell all your friends.

I've tried my hand at tutoring Maths - it's much much more simplier to teach Maths than English.

That's probably why English tutors generally charge more than Maths tutors, too.

shafqat

HSC
N/A
yes tutoring for english is harder than maths i have to say
im tutoring a year six students english and thats harder than tutoring ext2 math
however maths can be hard if a students says: teach me this topic
then u have to prepare to provide a good summary, covering all points

Lainee

HSC
shafqat said:
however maths can be hard if a students says: teach me this topic
then u have to prepare to provide a good summary, covering all points
Yeah but I could just give them copies of my own summaries. Then just photocopy different types of questions from textbooks and pastpapers and work through all those with them. That's pretty much all isn't it? :)

Gryphondarks said:
lainee i havne't seen ur thread on bos yet? i thought i knew my competition :p
That's because I didn't think advertising here would get me any students. I wasn't outstanding in any one subject and if a student came here looking for a tutor they'd probably pick the one that got the highest mark in the subject they want. :) I prefer my tutoring abilities to speak for themselves. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)