Handling Questions with flaws (1 Viewer)

Luukas.2

HSC
What do you do when you encounter a question during an exam, and the question is flawed and you realise it is flawed?

For example, I have just come across the following question:

(i) Show that the differential equation

describes a family of parabolas with x-intercepts at (1, 0) and (-1, 0).
The solutions take the usual approach to a separable DE to get

where and is an arbitrary constant of integration. Though not directly stated, it follows from this definition that .

However:
  • equations of the form with also satisfy the DE (and the question)
  • the line is also a valid solution of the DE as it yields , which is the gradient function of (depending on the domain - see next point), but this is inconsistent with the question
  • the given points (1, 0) and (-1, 0) can't be x-intercepts of any parabola with a vertical axis of symmetry and satisfy this DE because the parabola would have a slope that is finite and real (namely in the solution's case), yet the coordinates themselves make undefined... so the question's "family of parabolas" must exclude these points and thus have no x-intercepts!
  • in fact, (1, 0) and (-1, 0) can only lie on any solution of the DE if the curve is vertical at these points (and thus, they are vertical inflexions)... this excludes them even from the trivial solution
It seems to me that the solution is actually

where and is restricted to the domain

which includes the horizontal line solution as .

Providing the correct solution would be time consuming, but worse, the question continues to two more parts:

Now consider the differential equation

Find the equation of the curve which satisfies this differential equation and passes through the point (1, 1). Express your answer as a function of .
The answer given is

where

which is a relation, even though is expressed as a function of . Presumably they mean the answer to be

where

so that the curve does pass through (1, 1).

(iii) What can be said about the gradient of the curve in part (ii) in relation to the family of curves in part (i)?
The solution states that multiplying the DEs yields

and concludes

Since the two are gradient functions and when multiplied the product is −1, the gradient of curve in part ii), that is the tangent, is always perpendicular to the family of curves in part i).
Now, the multiplication given is only defined if and .

Further, the function from part (ii) is a particular solution of the DE, and is only defined for (it is even, I graphed it in DESMOS).

Having tried various approaches in DESMOS, I think what is being established is about the points of intersection::
  • for every , the equation
has two solutions,
  • for every , the equation
has four solutions,
  • at these two points of intersection , or four points of intersection and (if the relation solution to the DE is chosen), the curves are perpendicular... that is, at every intersection, the tangent to the parabola is the normal to the particular solution from (ii)
but that doesn't seem to me to be what the solution is saying... though, to be honest, I'm not certain what it is saying!

I'm interested in thoughts about this example, but more generally about the situation of a flawed exam question. So, restating my original question:

What do you do when you encounter a question during an exam, and the question is flawed and you realise it is flawed?

member 6003

HSC
Usually the best approach is to ignore that it's flawed.

This is a question I found in the Ascham paper, its clearly flawed once you get it negative answer but then its a bit harder to realise in the exam that its undefined rather than you just made a mistake. In the solution they did not realise that its undefined for the interval they gave. I reckon answer the question like you think that they want you to and then at the end of the exam go back to it and reason out anything more. I would say they won't do this in the HSC but see q10 for last years ext2 its a bit ambiguous but the correct answer is definitely the most correct.

I think the main problem you have here is that DEs tend to be simplified a bit in papers.
1. addressing k being defined for both positive and negative, when we take the integral to get the natural log as you know it's left with an absolute value. To remove the absolute value we have then let is correct or what the solutions should do.
2. is called the trivial solution to DEs, so you can write this down as a solution then say that its trivial and move on. Its rare that papers in NSW will mark you down for not acknowledging this. This solution is meant to be REJECTED.
3. You are correct in saying that the curve can't have the x-intercepts its talking about, really the question should be or something. In this case just assume it means a continuation of the graph which implies it has x-intercepts at (1,0) and (-1,0)
4. You're right that they should write it as a function of x. If they don't say to write it as a function of x solving for y squared would be fine.
5. The solution is worded weirdly. All its saying is that the curves meet at right angles as k varies, since gradients are perpendicular if when multiplied they equal -1. You don't need to find intersection at all or think about the domain which they would be found.

I would say the only thing in this question that is really flawed is the x-intercepts being non-existent, otherwise the solutions just lack detail probably because its not required for students have that detail to get full marks. Implementing 1, 2 would help improve how 'correct' your answers are.

carrotsss

HSC
The only exam you’ve got left is the HSC, which won’t have a flawed question, don’t worry.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
The only exam you’ve got left is the HSC, which won’t have a flawed question, don’t worry.
One would hope that is true.

However do you remember what happened in the 2001 Ext. 2 HSC exam? I do.

There was a typo in Q7 (b)(ii)

It was supposed to be 3r2s+s3d-3s=0 but it had 3r3s+s3d-3s=0

If all the students were told to correct it, it would be OK. But they weren't. Some were some weren't - and that opened a whole new can of worms.

Here is what I published in the Daily Telegraph on Nov 19, 2001:

``According to your editorial headed ``Academic standards on target'' (Daily Telegraph, November 17), all HSC students will be marked in the same manner, the process is straightforward and we can only trust that we have taught them well. How can they be marked in the same manner when their papers contain mistakes and only half the candidates are instructed to correct them? When this happens, there is no way you can call it a straightforward process. Some of us may have taught some of them well, but they have all been examined extremely unwell indeed.''

This got an official response from the Board of Studies (NESA's predecessor):

``All Mathematics Extension 2 candidates received the same examination paper. Question 7(b)(ii) contained a typographical error, and Presiding Officers were asked to make an announcement to candidates, instructing them to correct this error before the commencement of the examination. The Supervisor of Marking was informed that students from several centres may not have made this correction to their papers. He instructed the marking team for this question to pay particular attention to whether any candidate displayed any evidence of being disadvantaged by the error on the paper, and to draw such scripts to his attention. The Supervisor of Marking was also asked to monitor the marking of this question for the centres affected, and to provide a report to the Director, Examinations and Certification concerning each student’s performance on Question 7(b)(ii). Appropriate compensation will be implemented to ensure that no student is disadvantaged.'' - Board of Studies, 2001

Luukas.2

HSC
Usually the best approach is to ignore that it's flawed.

This is a question I found in the Ascham paper, its clearly flawed once you get it negative answer but then its a bit harder to realise in the exam that its undefined rather than you just made a mistake. In the solution they did not realise that its undefined for the interval they gave. I reckon answer the question like you think that they want you to and then at the end of the exam go back to it and reason out anything more. I would say they won't do this in the HSC but see q10 for last years ext2 its a bit ambiguous but the correct answer is definitely the most correct.
Thanks for your thoughts.

The integral you mention is meaningless, I agree... there is a vertical asymptote somewhere near and integration across a discontinuity is meaningless. It is still clear, though, that the function is positive for all , so a negative answer would certainly concern me.

Flawed questions bother me because they disadvantage the more able students, at very least penalising valuable time. :( The are much rarer in HSC exams, though.

carrotsss

HSC
One would hope that is true.

However do you remember what happened in the 2001 Ext. 2 HSC exam? I do.

There was a typo in Q7 (b)(ii)

It was supposed to be 3r2s+s3d-3s=0 but it had 3r3s+s3d-3s=0

If all the students were told to correct it, it would be OK. But they weren't. Some were some weren't - and that opened a whole new can of worms.

Here is what I published in the Daily Telegraph on Nov 19, 2001:

``According to your editorial headed ``Academic standards on target'' (Daily Telegraph, November 17), all HSC students will be marked in the same manner, the process is straightforward and we can only trust that we have taught them well. How can they be marked in the same manner when their papers contain mistakes and only half the candidates are instructed to correct them? When this happens, there is no way you can call it a straightforward process. Some of us may have taught some of them well, but they have all been examined extremely unwell indeed.''

This got an official response from the Board of Studies (NESA's predecessor):

``All Mathematics Extension 2 candidates received the same examination paper. Question 7(b)(ii) contained a typographical error, and Presiding Officers were asked to make an announcement to candidates, instructing them to correct this error before the commencement of the examination. The Supervisor of Marking was informed that students from several centres may not have made this correction to their papers. He instructed the marking team for this question to pay particular attention to whether any candidate displayed any evidence of being disadvantaged by the error on the paper, and to draw such scripts to his attention. The Supervisor of Marking was also asked to monitor the marking of this question for the centres affected, and to provide a report to the Director, Examinations and Certification concerning each student’s performance on Question 7(b)(ii). Appropriate compensation will be implemented to ensure that no student is disadvantaged.'' - Board of Studies, 2001
Maybe I’ll eat these words but I doubt something like that would happen nowadays

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)