Greater awareness of scaling, aligning and moderating (1 Viewer)

Should students be made more aware of the scaling, moderating and aligning processes?

• No, they should focus solely on studying for their exams and assessments

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No, the information distributed to students at present is sufficient

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Yes, but not too much time should be dedicated to this area since teaching the subjects themselves i

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Yes, more information should be distributed and school co-ordinators should dedicate more time to in

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
I don't think a better knowledge of scaling is required. It shouldn't make an impact on what subjects students require to do and so long as you work hard for the subjects you are studying you can always get a good UAI.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
thunderdax said:
I don't think a better knowledge of scaling is required. It shouldn't make an impact on what subjects students require to do and so long as you work hard for the subjects you are studying you can always get a good UAI.
But I think the concept of "scaling" does in fact confuse students and influences them to select subjects they don't really enjoy. That last statement of yours: "and so long as you work hard for the subjects you are studying you can always get a good UAI" is very true, but a lot of students still don't believe that working hard in Business Studies, Visual Arts, Design & Technology etc. will get them further than bludging Physics or Chemistry. Imo, a greater awareness of the system would encourage students to choose subjects that they like rather than subjects that ostensibly "scale well".

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
But I think the concept of "scaling" does in fact confuse students and influences them to select subjects they don't really enjoy. That last statement of yours: "and so long as you work hard for the subjects you are studying you can always get a good UAI" is very true, but a lot of students still don't believe that working hard in Business Studies, Visual Arts, Design & Technology etc. will get them further than bludging Physics or Chemistry. Imo, a greater awareness of the system would encourage students to choose subjects that they like rather than subjects that ostensibly "scale well".
I agree
but with subjects that don't scale well like Information Processes and Technology, what is a student to do there?
My whole class doesn't care about the subject
and its "bludgy" every lesson on the computers!

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Very true. I stand corrected. Although it may seem I chose my subjects because of their scaling, I really couldn't imagine doing subjects other than these because I'm crap at everything else.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
thunderdax said:
Very true. I stand corrected. Although it may seem I chose my subjects because of their scaling, I really couldn't imagine doing subjects other than these because I'm crap at everything else.
Well, just as there are people who choose MX2/Physics/Chem for their "scaling", there are of course people such as yourself who select such subjects because they enjoy them. Lkewise, I chose MX2/Chem/Eco because I enjoy them...I also chose Business Studies because I enjoy it.

Nevertheless, it's disappointing to see some students choose such subjects solely for scaling purposes. They inevitably do no work, perform poorly and subsequently pull the whole class down with them. What's more, had they done the subjects they enjoyed, they may well have excelled in those and attained fantastic UAIs. Imo, a lot of this confusion is caused by misconceptions about scaling, the result of a lack of available information.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
goan_crazy said:
I agree
but with subjects that don't scale well like Information Processes and Technology, what is a student to do there?
My whole class doesn't care about the subject
and its "bludgy" every lesson on the computers!
The situation is similar at my school (from what I hear talking to friends who do IPT). I guess if it's a recurring problem across many schools, then it's evidently a problem with the course content. Maybe students just aren't finding it challenging or interesting enough, hence the "bludge" attitude. If you personally want to excel in the subject, I guess you have to do your best to stand alone and work hard on it in spite of the attitudes of the rest of the students. That said, you need the support of a good teacher to do so.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Well, just as there are people who choose MX2/Physics/Chem for their "scaling", there are of course people such as yourself who select such subjects because they enjoy them. Lkewise, I chose MX2/Chem/Eco because I enjoy them...I also chose Business Studies because I enjoy it.

Nevertheless, it's disappointing to see some students choose such subjects solely for scaling purposes. They inevitably do no work, perform poorly and subsequently pull the whole class down with them. What's more, had they done the subjects they enjoyed, they may well have excelled in those and attained fantastic UAIs. Imo, a lot of this confusion is caused by misconceptions about scaling, the result of a lack of available information.

u've made some nice points ReNcH!!!

however... in regards to the highlighted statement.. some schools encourage students to coose subjects solely for scaling purposes... this is the kind of pressure i was faced with.. in addition to that.. due to the lack in number of students at my school there wasn't much variety..

nevertheless.. i can't say i don't like my subjects... i'm glad i did do them... although i admit choosing extension english was a mistake.. i should have worked harder in ext maths and aimed to do X2 maths.. instead i was working hard to gain a postion in X2 english.. which i only recently dropped.. Big mistake...

anyways.. my pt being

schools need o be eduacted arther than students...

alot of my teachers have a dramatic misunderstanding of how the system works...

last yr i did arabic HSC ... i was ranked equal first with another student...

i stuffed up big time.. and i mean big time... and as we know if 2 ppl are ranked first the highest assessment mark will be the average of the 2 external marks for the 2 highest examination marks...... now in the external exam i was ranked second... and the person i was equal with got first.. so my mark made the other loose 2 marks from their extenal mark of 88 which went down to 86... my teacher thought that because of me.. the other person did not get a band 6.. whilst in reality the other person wouldn't have rceieved a band 6 unless their mark was a band 6 mark.. since the highest exam mark was 88...

so i was made to feel guilty the whole year... until i found out they didn't get a band 6 because of them and the fact that they did not perfrom at a band 6 standard

sorry if i've caused any confusion.. but anywas.. schools need to be educated about the system before the students

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
You've made a good point their physician. Teachers do definitely need to learn the processes as well, and not just the deputy principal and the studies co-ordinator. I'm sure you're glad that you found out about the moderating process, or else you'd probably still be feeling guilty as a result of your teacher's misconception.

I guess it must be difficult in some ways, going to a small school...with a lack of variety and added pressure from teachers to select high-scaling subjects. Fortunately you enjoy your subjects :)

But yes, I think teachers must also be aware of scaling/moderating/aligning etc. as well as the specific terminology that goes with it. It is clear that most students (and teachers) don't know the difference between aligning, scaling and moderating and confuse them when discussing these processes. This only adds further confusion, but a simple definition for each surely wouldn't go astray.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)