Got some results back today and I'm very disappointed... is an ATAR of 94+ now impossible? (1 Viewer)

nuvardex

HSC
Really disappointed today. Got my English and Legal Studies results back, and they could be better...

English Advanced: 13/20 (65%, 20% weighting) - assignment (rank: unknown. not 1st. class mean: 13/20)
Legal studies: 19/25 (76%, 20% weighting) - exam (rank: unknown. not 1st)

My other grades so far have been quite good, but I'm really worried about that English one. I'm always aiming for the best mark possible. So you can make a judgement of whether 94 is now impossible, here are my other grades.

Physics: 51/53 (96%, 30% weighting) - assignment (rank: 1st)
Multimedia: 18/20 (90%, 20% weighting) - assignment (rank: 1st)
PDHPE: 18/20 (90%, 20% weighting) - assignment (rank: 1st)

What can I do from now on to lift those English and Legal Studies marks? I've been thinking of implementing a study routine where I am to do an essay for English once a week, and an 'evaluate effectiveness' question for legal studies. I was wondering what any of you have done? How did you bounce back from receiving poor marks?

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
While your results in English Advanced and Legal Studies may not be favourable in terms of your ATAR goal, they are not decisive. Several students who suffer from an unfavourable start in a particular subject(s) in year 12 are able to compensate by performing favourably in their upcoming assessment tasks/exams and consequently achieve their ATAR goal. Additionally, while a 20% weighting does present an effect on your performance, this effect is rather minimal. Keep in mind that there is still 80% yet to be decided in English Advanced and Legal Studies, which is definitely a significant opportunity for you to perform to the best of your abilities in the upcoming assessment tasks/exams in both subjects, hopefully allowing you to maximise your ranks. Further, you are currently ranked 1st in Physics, Multimedia and PDHPE which is an amazing achievement and demonstrates your ability to commit to and perform well in different subjects, meaning that you are definitely capable of achieving a 94+ ATAR.

Your study plan for English Advanced seems appropriate, as writing an essay once a week will likely enable you to enhance your written and analytical skills with respect to your prescribed texts for each module. An important thing to remember regarding this plan is to regularly seek feedback on your essays, preferably from your teacher, as this will provide you with the opportunity to implement any changes that your teacher suggests, hence improving the overall quality of your essays. While it seems that you aim to focus on essay writing, I believe that you should not ignore reading and analysing different texts. Doing so, while concurrently attempting to answer a range of short answer questions relevant to those texts, will assist you in improving your analytical skills, which is an important element that becomes more relevant as you approach your English Advanced trial exam and HSC exam.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)