Genetics - Use of Gene Therapy to Manage a Genetic Disease (1 Viewer)

tempco

HSC
Process and analyse information from secondary sources to identify a current use of gene therapy to manage a genetic disease, a named form of cancer or AIDS.

What diseases are you all using for this? Just wondering if anyone is using Cystic Fibrosis?

Thanks.

psycho_mushy

HSC
b)Process and analyse information from secondary sources to identify a current use of gene therapy to manage a genetic disease, a named form of cancer of AIDS

Sickle cell restricts the synthesis of haemoglobin. Scientists have treated the disease by administering a drug that turns back on a gene that is usually shut off in cases of sickle cell anaemia disease. The gene then produces healthy haemoglobin.

there u go

jims

HSC
hmm that site would have been useful a while back....

anyway, im using cystic fibrosis. use adenovirus with correct CFTR gene to infect the respiratory tract. administered as an aerosol. fix up the cells to reduce the symptoms. temporary affect. repeat ~6 months. may cause immune response in some patients but generally successful in reducing symptoms.
is there anything relevent on that site? i dont have the time to go searching.

tempco

HSC
I didn't really check anything out besides the definition of gene therapy... so I wouldn't know. Thanks for the info!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)