Genetic engineering- pls answer today! :) (1 Viewer)

ktl_edwards

HSC
I really need help in understanding properly the processes of
*artificial pollination
*artificial insemination
*Cloning

Ive read the syllabus....i dont go to school so i have no help there- (distance educated). I cant quit get how its done...:S. Like the process doesnt sit clear in my mind

So if anyone could ellaborate it would be much appreciated!

Thankyou

Brontecat

HSC
Artificial Pollination
Pollen from the anthers of one plant are dusted on the sigmas of another plant.
And since this is artificial pollination the anthers and sigmas are normally selected due to their 'desirable traits.'

Artificial Insemination
The process of selecting sperm with desirable traits and placing them inside a female uterus so that it can 'unite' with a females eggs, thus resulting in fertilisation.
I like to think of this like IVF (InVitro Fertilisation) where they basically select the most fertile sperm in order to increase the chances of fertilisation. Kinda like the test tube babies idea.

Cloning

Plants:
Basically cutting and grafting a part of the plant and planting it elsewhere, thus allowing it to grow again. This is kind of like throwing weeds int part of your garden, they're likely to grow wherever you throw them.

Animals:
The nucleus of a somatic cell (the diploid cell left after fertilisation has occurred - meaning it is complete) from a 'chosen' individual is isolated and inserted into another cell (usu. an egg cell) that has had its nucleus removed (enucleated).
It is then implanted into a surrogate where the somatic cell will grow and develop in a way that is genetically identical to the 'chosen' indicidual.

I wouldn't worry about this dot point too much, cause all you have to do is recognise and name how the above reproductive technologies may alter the genetic composition of a populaton. Basically that over generations genetic variability is reduced and possibley other psychological issues e.g. being the same as others, artificially selected etc...

hope I helped, basically how i think of the whole thing and gl with the exam :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)