Gap Year (1 Viewer)

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
The whole middle England boarding school thing is endemic in all private schools. After spending 6-12 years in such a protected and (usually) conservative environment, why would you immediately want to dive back into it upon acquisition of freedom? I don't understand my peers.

From my skimming of the thread it looks like you're very keen on going to the developing world and helping out, which sounds amazing, however I'll still contribute my idea.

Which is couchsurfing. CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time
You may already know about it, it's been called "facebook with a purpose", where you basically go sleep on randoms' couches, or beds, etc. I am buying my flights on Wednesday for a round-the-world trip where I'll spend a large chunk of my time doing exactly that. Me and friends did it in Sydney in October (I'm from tassie) and it was amazing, instead of waddling along the tourist track doing the tourist things with the other tourists you delve straight into local life. We got invited to a USYD house party and got told off amazing zine and art festivals and little bookshops and we cooked for them and played board games into the wee hours and shared stories and its so amazing.

Rant and a half.
Sleeping Around is suggested reading. About a guy who did a round the world trip Couchsurfing. Its V funny.
That sounds like an awesome idea!
Wouldn't it be quite unsettling if you're going to be staying with people that you've never actually met in person?

lonely-lass

HSC
N/A
Gap years are not good if you don't have some definite plans for it. In my case it's more than a year, I'm not studying coz I have some settlement issues. The things are not going well here.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
That sounds like an awesome idea!
Wouldn't it be quite unsettling if you're going to be staying with people that you've never actually met in person?
Probably. But if I wanted to be 'settled' i would have gone straight to uni. The whole point is adventure! Although yeah it is a bit scary, what if the people are really awkward or annoying? Also my sense of humour does NOT translate into any language, i have discovered.

It's booked! Argh. 5 and a half months in Europe and then two and a half weeks in San Francisco/N.W. United States. So excited but also shitscared that i won't have enough money despite money saved on accommodation.

S

schooliesbeyond

A gap year can be such a rewarding experience, particularly if you use your time to complete an internship in a field that you're interested in working in, or volunteer overseas!

Have you seen our website, www.schooliesandbeyond.com before? A lot of people are interested in taking time off and having a gap year before university/college, and we've booked some fantastic adventures for people this year (everything from teaching English in Cambodia to attending the Oktoberfest in Germany and skiing in Europe!), so if you would ever like to discuss YOUR goals, feel free to contact us! :)

:fish:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)