frontline - the siege (1 Viewer)

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
ok you know the siege in frontline?
well you know how its based on an actual siege that took place with mike willisee being current affairs host in like 1993?? does anyone know any more specific details about that siege .. ? or where i can info... ? ive been looking a bit but cant find anything... thought i'd see here...

roo

HSC
i've got an article on it somewhere in this dump i call my room.. i'll try harder to look for it and scan it. :)

y do u want it? just to get the general story?

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
yeah that'd be cool thanks!!
i just want to know more of the story behind it. what we've been told is very general....

is the info in the article general or specific? ....

Jesar

The seig is about the way that the media misconstru information that is presented to the viewers -- Brookes story w/ mrs forbes
-- Marty crouching down to make it feel like he is close to the action (FLACK JACKET)
-- Mike saying that there could be a "RAMBO SITUATION" It is just changing the infor to get "RATINGS RATINGS RATINGS!"
(Just thought that you might wanna know)
BUt anyway, there only seems to be the basic this involved mike willise stuff that I have heard so sorry if that is what you wanted... but anyway, hope it helped

Alex

lets be realistic here. You do not need to know that much detail regarding the background of the siege. You have 40 mins approx to write a whole essay on several episodes of frontline and dont forget the related text'S. You will have no time at all to add that. But saying this there is nothing lost in being a little bit more informed I guess.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
ya
i was just interested in knowing the real siege. people in my class all want to know, and my teacher.. thats why, and to the person who told me what the siege was about. um thanks, buts that not really what i was asking dude.
u know
oh well
sorry if this post is too bitchy

lyntiernan

HSC
N/A
the real siege

This episode is based on an actual event in Australian media history. Mike W. really did speak live in a show to a father who was holding his kids hostage. There was a lot of ranting and raving afterwards about ethics in current affairs. I haven't got the actual article here but can send you more details if you want to know. I had to get the local public librarian to search for it and get a microfiche copy from the newspaper archives.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
yeah lyntierman,
that would be sweet if you could give me more info on it
:D

ben

no its not. basically in real life the same thing happened. wow :argue:

:axedeath::axedeath::axedeath::axedeath:

LOL :D

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
shuddup
i jus wanna know the real story too

i know where you live ben

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
and i have ten

:uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

Chelsea

Yay 4 guns!! Unfortunately they're probably not going to help when you're in a HSC exam trying to write an essay on Frontline!! I think it would be great to know about the real siege story. I know an English HSC marker, and they actually consider this as wider reading or realted texts so I would advise talking about it in your essay if your discussing the siege. Ben, you've got no idea. I mean the whole point of discussing Frintline in the Hsc is to draw parallels to real life to show how truth is dealt with in the real world. My teacher gave me a sheet on the real "Willesee and the Cangai Siege" which ay help you luigi. It said: On 30th March 1993 a religious nutter named Leonard Leabetter and 2 companions had gone on a murder spree, killing five people in Qld. and NSW, then kidnapped 4 children and holed up with two of them in a farmhouse in Cangai, near Grafton. The actual interview went as such:
Willesee: So your mate was a psychopath, Leonard. How do you describe your own mental state?
Lebetter: Well, I've always considered myself to be what they call a soiciopath.
Willesee: Even if you've got a legitamite beef with the cops Leonard, It's a bit tough to go and kill a 14 year ol girl and 3 miners
L: Well, I suppose you've got an argument there
(after talking to Leabetter Mike asked to speak to one of the children - Trevor)
W: Trevor, I'm Mike Willesee. Do you know who I am?
T: No
W: OK, I work on television, and I want to know how you are.
T: We're safe
W: Are you sure you're safe?
T: Yes
W: Has Leonard told you he will let you go?
W: Do you believe him?

ben

I have no idea?

Well, despite that I was just joking around, i still agree with my original comment "it's really not that interesting to know about it. really." :gridnod: :gridnod: :gridnod:

Of course, that's just my opinion. I think since we only have 40 minutes - I'd prefer to discuss better texts rather than crapping on about context (even though that is highly valued in module A and B).

:argue:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)