Finance... (1 Viewer)

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Hi people,

I'm just wondering about Finance Majors in BCom and BEco,
I hear its got alot of maths involved in it, Can anyone confirm this.

And if so, what level of maths would be sufficient to cover the mathematics involved in Finance.
( I do Extension 1 Maths, but it isn't exactly my best subject)

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Finance majors require basic knowledge of financial mathematics, therefore u will be working on a lot of probability, series, annuities and statistics...probably the stuff u will find most difficult (which isnt really that hard) is regression, hypothesis testing, and other general econometric concepts. Seriously, the maths isn't that hard if u study it, the more difficult aspects of finance is grasping all the theory, I hear

timmii

sporadic attendee
If you can do calculus you should be fine (from what I have thus far experience in metrics, which is the precursor of finance). There is a maths learning centre that they recommend you go to if you have problems, and most of the difficulty is in the application rather than in the mathematical concepts.

In terms of finance and financial modelling - there are different aspects of finance which you can choose to focus on. If you're a hardcore maths fan (which it doesnt sound like you are) you can take the intensive maths courses which goes deep into the mathematical formulae and assumptions of mathematical/economic models. If on the otherhand, you are like me, (fairly avg at maths) then you can do the more application to corporate analysis/accounting type stuff. Either way, you'll find the majority of people are in your boat and they should cater for it adequately! :D Also, if finance *is* too mathsy for your liking, then that *is* what finance is...so perhaps doing accounting (for e.g) would be the way to enter the corporate world, coz finance may not then be what you'd enjoy? :p Don't fret! 3u maths should hold you in good stead regardless! :D

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Well thanks for replying guys,
Maths is hardly my favourite subject, so I'll need to take that into account before I choose my majors. (before I get too ahead of myself, I gotta worry bout getting the bloody UAI first)

And you have to choose your majors in the 1st year?

Last edited:

timmii

sporadic attendee
You choose them at the end of first year, for second year. So you don't have to worry too much - you'll see how you go from compulsory subjects like metrics/acct/economics to determine what you enjoy.

You also get to choose electives (e.g commercial law, marketing etc) which may also guide your choice - but are not definitive, u can major in something u took an elective for, or u can completely disregard them and major in the core subjects. I didn't do electives though so i'm not too sure how good they were at providing an insight into the future majors :)

Good luck with the hsc though, majors can be sorted out at a much later date! :D :D :D (though it is still good to be thinking about them now :))

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by timmii
majors can be sorted out at a much later date! :D :D :D (though it is still good to be thinking about them now :))
Heh yes, ppl change majors halfway thru their degree in some cases!

I think I've decided I am gonna pursue an Honours degree in Accounting though

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
umm Accounting doesn't really appeal to me though, Although it does have its advantages, I think it's got a high employment rate for ppl who've just obtained their degrees.
I was just flicking through some of the uni course booklets and USYD doesn't seem to offer Intl Bus, only UNSW offers it???

timmii

sporadic attendee
yeah thats true. Minai could probs best answer questions on that, coz i have *no* idea what international business is, sorry :shy: :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by scut
I was just flicking through some of the uni course booklets and USYD doesn't seem to offer Intl Bus, only UNSW offers it???
Yeah, UNSW is the only reputable commerce degree to offer Int. Business as a major, although UTS and Macquarie have B.International Business as a single degree (a but narrow though)
I currently happen to be doing International Business as a major too

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Yeah, UNSW is the only reputable commerce degree to offer Int. Business as a major,
Umm Minai you wouldn't happen to be part of the UNSW Marketing Team would you :p

UNSW will unfortunately be a bit outta reach for me, considering the popularity of the BCom . Can u still do a Intl Bus major for BEco at UNSW though? (Sorry this is the USYD forum, but I'm too lazy to start a new thread)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by scut
Umm Minai you wouldn't happen to be part of the UNSW Marketing Team would you :p

UNSW will unfortunately be a bit outta reach for me, considering the popularity of the BCom . Can u still do a Intl Bus major for BEco at UNSW though? (Sorry this is the USYD forum, but I'm too lazy to start a new thread)
heh, i think its basically "justifying why u went to a certain uni"

hmm...well u neva kno
and yes, u can do Int. Bus major in B.Ec, however in a B.Ec, ur other major has to be in an Economics related discipline

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)