Extension English (1 Viewer)

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
ok so heres the thing; I have 12 units, one of those being extension english. I'm going to to drop general maths (for a few reasons)which leaves me with 10 units, one being ext. english.

This is a problem at my school, as there is a general rule that you have to be doing really well at your extension subject (like, top 5 ppl or something, i dunno) in order to drop to 10 units..and i'm only going average.

So anyway, im going to drop gen. maths anyway and i'm looking to prove wrong all those who are doubting my english abilities :p

So, finally getting to the point of this thread, i need to improve my extension english performance, and im looking for suggestions as to how to go about this effectively

- Is there any resources i should be looking at in particular relating to ext. english?
- Will i need to REALLY study my text and topic (the big sleep/crime fiction), get to know it extremely well, do my own extra research at home?
- Improve my essay technique? how would you go about this?

any suggestions are appreciated
sorry for the long post :p

ellebelle

I don't really have any advice as such, but i'm in the same situation as you. I want to drop a subject and do 10 units, one of which is extension, except the school's giving me hell about dropping to 10 because of the "risk" involved. Ultimately i think it should be my choice.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
- Is there any resources i should be looking at in particular relating to ext. english?
Tons of different types of additional material from all eras and styles.

I can't recommend any text books, but the web is a great resourse, so use it.

- Will i need to REALLY study my text and topic (the big sleep/crime fiction), get to know it extremely well, do my own extra research at home?
I would focus more on the themes and values of the genre, rather than the specific text. Make sure you have lots of quotes up your sleve, however, to back up your points.

- Improve my essay technique? how would you go about this?
Write HEAPS of practice essays. Ask in the Ext Forum for topics, I can throw you some and then you can post a response for us to look at. Ask for tips from your teacher on essay writing or even read academics esays to get an idea of good technique. BIG WORDS always help.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
the csu hsc site has really good stuff for ext english ccrime ficiton

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
I don't really have any advice as such, but i'm in the same situation as you. I want to drop a subject and do 10 units, one of which is extension, except the school's giving me hell about dropping to 10 because of the "risk" involved. Ultimately i think it should be my choice.
yeh exactly my problem ellebelle
Its annoying, most subject changes take a couple of days at most, but me dropping maths has been in the works for about a term now...lol. First i needed signatures from various teachers, then i had to have a talk with another teacher, who referred me to another teacher, which happened about 5 times..then i needed a note from home stating my parents agree with the subject drop and are aware that the school doesnt support the decision (basically a procedure to cover the schools ass from consequences if i actually did fuck up ext eng, then come back and complain that they let me do it..heh)...then he said it was ok and it would happen over the christmas holidays...get back to school and he says i'll need another note...:mad: so im gonna go hand in this note tomorrow...not too hopeful of much happening, hehe.
I guess youve been screwed around by this school rule too. Sure i appreciate that its there for our own interests, but is fucking me around for over a term (and counting) really in the best interests of my education? But i agree, it IS our choice, as we are the ones who know what we are capable of most, its our education bla bla bla...:)

BAH, enough of my problems..hehe

Ask in the Ext Forum for topics, I can throw you some and then you can post a response for us to look at
Thanks for the suggestion McLake, that actually sounds like a cool idea...might take the Ext. board up on that :cool:

i think ive got half yearlys coming up in a few weeks :( so i guess i'll probably have to get started on the prac. essays relatively soon

Rahul

Dead Member
eng ext classes r generally pretty small so make use of the group....of course dont b a spange and live off everyone else, u have to work harder than u mite think in ext.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)