Ethical issues in Pompeii (1 Viewer)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Just talk about the Venice Charter and the Tamaki Makau-Rau Accord as well the issue with Vesuvius being a natural disaster and we are simply uncovering a dead as opposed to disturbing their remains that received proper burial rites. Here, I mean that we're discounting whether or not we are actually excavating tombs like that of Mamia or something. By studying the remains, we can actually learn much from the bodies. Then again, are we not showing respect for the remains or are we simply conducting a post-mortem? With the display issue, those Accords/Charters say that the decision of display of human remains should be upto the superintendant of the site or the local community. I'm not really sure who takes precedence but from the fact that remains are displayed, I'd say the superintendant.

Dyl A7X

HSC
One of the points from the syllabus for the core is 'Ethical issues: study and display of human remains'. Since this is mainly based on your own opinions, would they be likely to ask this in the exam, and if so what sort of form would the question take?
I Copped this question in My trials. It was a 10 mark examine question. Basically refer to the initial poor excavation methods, the concept of custodianship, social impact, ethics in regards to the purpose of exhibiting remains e.g. are they of historical relevence, or are they merely commercial and finally methods in which human remains should be preserved/maintained. If you make reference to the tamaki makau-rau accord, and the Venice Charter, that would be a good way to earn extra marks

If you need me to explain anything, feel free to ask :D

Last edited:

renny 123

HSC
I Copped this question in My trials. It was a 10 mark examine question. Basically refer to the initial poor excavation methods, the concept of custodianship, social impact, ethics in regards to the purpose of exhibiting remains e.g. are they of historical relevence, or are they merely commercial and finally methods in which human remains should be preserved/maintained. If you make reference to the tamaki makau-rau accord, and the Venice Charter, that would be a good way to earn extra marks

If you need me to explain anything, feel free to ask :D
Sorry what are the tamaki makau-rau accord and the Venice Charter- I never learnt that :eek:

tarrant

HSC
hey i was just wondering if anyone has actually done a question on the ethical issues of the study and display of human remains if you could post it here. i have heaps of information im just unsure how i should construct my answer.

cheers

rachierach

HSC
If you actually read the marking guidelines of the past exams, a question from section 3 of the syllabus (ethics, reconstruction, etc) is ALWAYS question 3 ie 8/10/12 marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)