ester dot point... (1 Viewer)

JUB JUB

HSC
what is the actual answer to this dot point?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Identify the IUPAC nomenclature for describing the esters produced by reactions of straight-chained alkanoic acids from C1 to C8 and straight-chained primary alkanols from C1 to C8

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
It tell you just to know how to make the names of esters made from those two ingredients, an alkanoic acid and an alkanol.
like ethyl ethanoate. One is from the -oic acids, and the other is from the ols.

Make sure you know which part is wich.

Left:
methyl
ethyl
propyl
butyl
etc...

Right:
--oate

I tihnk this is right.

kini mini

HSC
I agree with BJ :). Look up a diagram of the reaction mechanics, it makes it easier to understand.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by JUB JUB

Identify the IUPAC nomenclature for describing the esters produced by reactions of straight-chained alkanoic acids from C1 to C8 and straight-chained primary alkanols from C1 to C8

all is means is u gotta know how to name an ester (coz esters r made from alkanoic acids and alkanols) . if they give u a pic and ask u 2 name it, or give u a name and ask u 2 draw it u gotta know how. take a look at conq chem or chem contexts, coz they'll have a section on naming esters.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by JUB JUB

this dot point means u have to be able to name/draw esters which are formed from alkanols containing carbon atoms (from 1-8) and alkanoic acids ( C1-C8)

for eg:
methanol + methanoic acid----> methyl methanoate
now methanol is an alkanol with C1 and methanoic acid is an alkanoic acid with C1, so like this u have to do from C1-C8

kurotenshi

the things everyone else said, but i got told we should probably know how to write all three types of eq'ns.
*word
*semi-sturctural
*sturctrual
and know how the ester is formed basicly (i think)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)