Enough time? (1 Viewer)

proxyluv

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I have posted my anxiety induced threads on here before, talking about ranks and stuff like that, but there is 5 months left. Do I have enough time to start and finish my study notes? And do i have enough time to improve my rank between the third assessment tasks and trials?

My ranks as of now are: (the amount of people in class are the closes estimates, as there are two, maybe three classes for most of the subjects I am doing)

Math adv: 13th (out of 35 or 40)
english adv: 5th (out of like 31, maybe 35)
english ext: 2nd (only two people in the class... rip)
chemistry: 12th (out of 17 I am pretty sure)
biology: 14th (out of 30, most likely 30)
SOR 1: 6th (out of like 45, maybe 50)

My school ranking is in the upper percentile of the 200s. I have two more assessments which include trials:

- For math adv I have a 30% weighted AT3 exam, and the trials are 30%
-for english adv I have a 25% weighted AT3 assessment, and trials are 30%
-for english ext i have a 40% weighted AT3 hand-in, and trials are 30%
-for chemistry I have a 20% weighted AT3 org-chem exam, and trials are 30%
-for biology i have a 20% weighted AT3 practical on infectious diseases, and trials are 30%
-for SOR1 I have a 40% weighed AT3 Judaism report, and trials are 30%

is there enough space for me to improve my ranks? (I know it also depends on how I go on the HSC, but right now I am just worrying about my internal ranks and catching up).

Secondly, my attendence has not been good (73%), due to illness that has put me in hospital. However, i have manage to maintain high grades consistently in english advnaced, SOR 1, math adv and recently biology. I know I can do much better in ext english as I am sitting on 77%. However... chemistry. Dear God, I hate it. I used to love it. But because I have been away alot during the course content in year 11 and 12, it has become my worst performing subject. I was able to improve drastically in biology, but I have managed to go down in rank in chemistry. It is honestly like french to me. SO! my second question is, if I work hard enough, will i be able to catch up in chemistry and get a good mark of say around... 85 by the end of my internal? if right now I am sitting on a 70%? I have all the resources, and alot of practice papers I just need to make the subject less scary? So how do I properly catch up for chemistry as well. (i am fine for equilibrium, I just need to really focus on acids and bases)

I am so sorry, there is so much I am asking in this thread, but if you guys could answers these, it would mean the world. I have been so, so stressed to the point of mental degradation. I take responsibility for my procrasination. But i have not gone terribly, I have mantained good grades in 4/6 of my subjects, I just need reassurance I still have time to improve my marks and ranks, and I also just need guidance on how to catch up.

My atar aim is a 94 atar, however, I would really like a 97 secretly. As if borders are open I can study at LSE with that mark, as i have a conditional offer with them (<-- thanks to cadets)

Thank you :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I have posted my anxiety induced threads on here before, talking about ranks and stuff like that, but there is 5 months left. Do I have enough time to start and finish my study notes? And do i have enough time to improve my rank between the third assessment tasks and trials?
Absolutely. As long as you manage your time effectively, i.e. regularly making notes and studying content, 5 months will be enough time to both make notes and improve your rank.

My ranks as of now are: (the amount of people in class are the closes estimates, as there are two, maybe three classes for most of the subjects I am doing)

Math adv: 13th (out of 35 or 40)
english adv: 5th (out of like 31, maybe 35)
english ext: 2nd (only two people in the class... rip)
chemistry: 12th (out of 17 I am pretty sure)
biology: 14th (out of 30, most likely 30)
SOR 1: 6th (out of like 45, maybe 50)
Your ranks for SOR I and English Advanced are pretty good. Maths Advanced, Biology and Chemistry aren't bad, although the higher your rank, the better. You should definitely try to focus more on those subjects and hopefully improve your ranks as that will give you a much better chance of achieving your desired ATAR.

My school ranking is in the upper percentile of the 200s. I have two more assessments which include trials:

- For math adv I have a 30% weighted AT3 exam, and the trials are 30%
-for english adv I have a 25% weighted AT3 assessment, and trials are 30%
-for english ext i have a 40% weighted AT3 hand-in, and trials are 30%
-for chemistry I have a 20% weighted AT3 org-chem exam, and trials are 30%
-for biology i have a 20% weighted AT3 practical on infectious diseases, and trials are 30%
-for SOR1 I have a 40% weighed AT3 Judaism report, and trials are 30%

is there enough space for me to improve my ranks? (I know it also depends on how I go on the HSC, but right now I am just worrying about my internal ranks and catching up).
You have a great opportunity to improve your rank in maths as the remaining tasks are pretty significant. You need to try to maintain your good marks in English Advanced so you can maintain (and potentially improve) your current rank. For English Extension, I'm not sure if being 2nd in a class of just 2 people will have a big effect, but since your remaining assessments are also worth a lot for that, you should do your best and perhaps rank 1st. Similarly, your remaining tasks for Chemistry present a good opportunity to improve your rank to top 10 (and hopefully top 5). The same applies to Biology - top 10 would be a good improvement but top 5 is of course desirable. Like English Advanced, you need to ensure you stay on the right track for SOR I as your rank for that is already pretty good.

There is definitely time to improve, it's a matter of how much effort you're willing to put in.

Secondly, my attendence has not been good (73%), due to illness that has put me in hospital. However, i have manage to maintain high grades consistently in english advnaced, SOR 1, math adv and recently biology. I know I can do much better in ext english as I am sitting on 77%. However... chemistry. Dear God, I hate it. I used to love it. But because I have been away alot during the course content in year 11 and 12, it has become my worst performing subject. I was able to improve drastically in biology, but I have managed to go down in rank in chemistry. It is honestly like french to me. SO! my second question is, if I work hard enough, will i be able to catch up in chemistry and get a good mark of say around... 85 by the end of my internal? if right now I am sitting on a 70%? I have all the resources, and alot of practice papers I just need to make the subject less scary? So how do I properly catch up for chemistry as well. (i am fine for equilibrium, I just need to really focus on acids and bases)
Sorry to hear that! To answer your question, given that 50% of your internal mark is still to be decided for Chemistry, you are definitely able to catch up and reach 85. Of course, you'll need high marks in your remaining tasks. You should be aiming for at least band 5's, but at the same time try to do your best to get band 6's. To sum up, if you work hard enough, you can definitely achieve your goal.

Perhaps CM_Tutor and Eagle Mum may want to give you some content-specific advice as they usually have pretty good tips :)

It is honestly like french to me.
Should've picked French! I guarantee that would've been easier than chem haha (plus I would've helped a lot).

I am so sorry, there is so much I am asking in this thread, but if you guys could answers these, it would mean the world. I have been so, so stressed to the point of mental degradation. I take responsibility for my procrasination. But i have not gone terribly, I have mantained good grades in 4/6 of my subjects, I just need reassurance I still have time to improve my marks and ranks, and I also just need guidance on how to catch up.

My atar aim is a 94 atar, however, I would really like a 97 secretly. As if borders are open I can study at LSE with that mark, as i have a conditional offer with them (<-- thanks to cadets)
Don't stress! You are doing well and can greatly improve if you have the right mindset. You're obviously very determined to achieve your goal and that's already a good thing. With just a bit of extra focus and diligence you will hopefully reach your 97 ATAR goal!

I hope this helps 😄

proxyluv

HSC
N/A
Absolutely. As long as you manage your time effectively, i.e. regularly making notes and studying content, 5 months will be enough time to both make notes and improve your rank.

Your ranks for SOR I and English Advanced are pretty good. Maths Advanced, Biology and Chemistry aren't bad, although the higher your rank, the better. You should definitely try to focus more on those subjects and hopefully improve your ranks as that will give you a much better chance of achieving your desired ATAR.

You have a great opportunity to improve your rank in maths as the remaining tasks are pretty significant. You need to try to maintain your good marks in English Advanced so you can maintain (and potentially improve) your current rank. For English Extension, I'm not sure if being 2nd in a class of just 2 people will have a big effect, but since your remaining assessments are also worth a lot for that, you should do your best and perhaps rank 1st. Similarly, your remaining tasks for Chemistry present a good opportunity to improve your rank to top 10 (and hopefully top 5). The same applies to Biology - top 10 would be a good improvement but top 5 is of course desirable. Like English Advanced, you need to ensure you stay on the right track for SOR I as your rank for that is already pretty good.

There is definitely time to improve, it's a matter of how much effort you're willing to put in.

Sorry to hear that! To answer your question, given that 50% of your internal mark is still to be decided for Chemistry, you are definitely able to catch up and reach 85. Of course, you'll need high marks in your remaining tasks. You should be aiming for at least band 5's, but at the same time try to do your best to get band 6's. To sum up, if you work hard enough, you can definitely achieve your goal.

Perhaps CM_Tutor and Eagle Mum may want to give you some content-specific advice as they usually have pretty good tips :)

Should've picked French! I guarantee that would've been easier than chem haha (plus I would've helped a lot).

Don't stress! You are doing well and can greatly improve if you have the right mindset. You're obviously very determined to achieve your goal and that's already a good thing. With just a bit of extra focus and diligence you will hopefully reach your 97 ATAR goal!

I hope this helps 😄
THIS HELPS SO MUCH THANK YOU! Always can count on you to give great reponses. My second question is, with the ranks in biology, chemistry and math adv, with the weightings left in these assessments; if i work hard enough, do you think I can make it to top five in biology and chemistry, and with maths adv top 3 considering there is a great deal of marks to be made? Like with the time I have left and more diligence can i still reach top 5 in chemistry and biology, and top 3 in maths? Or is it too late to reach that point?

proxyluv

HSC
N/A

I hope this helps 😄
AND YES, I should've picked French lol.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
THIS HELPS SO MUCH THANK YOU! Always can count on you to give great reponses. My second question is, with the ranks in biology, chemistry and math adv, with the weightings left in these assessments; if i work hard enough, do you think I can make it to top five in biology and chemistry, and with maths adv top 3 considering there is a great deal of marks to be made? Like with the time I have left and more diligence can i still reach top 5 in chemistry and biology, and top 3 in maths? Or is it too late to reach that point?
No worries, that's great to hear! :D

Considering there is still 50%-60% of your internal mark to be determined for Biology, Chemistry and Maths, you definitely have a chance of reaching top 5 in bio and chem and top 3 in maths. Such weightings are high enough and allow you to make a difference, provided you work hard enough (of course it won't be easy, but it's definitely achievable). You should start working on your subjects asap so you can maximise your study time. So yeah, not too late at all!

proxyluv

HSC
N/A
No worries, that's great to hear! :D

Considering there is still 50%-60% of your internal mark to be determined for Biology, Chemistry and Maths, you definitely have a chance of reaching top 5 in bio and chem and top 3 in maths. Such weightings are high enough and allow you to make a difference, provided you work hard enough (of course it won't be easy, but it's definitely achievable). You should start working on your subjects asap so you can maximise your study time. So yeah, not too late at all!
THANK GOD, the HSC countdown website is anxiety inducing, you've helped so much. I can not thank you enough :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
THANK GOD, the HSC countdown website is anxiety inducing, you've helped so much. I can not thank you enough :)
Maybe you shouldn't check it as much haha. It's essential that you try to avoid any distractions and things that can cause stress.

I'm glad I was able to help! All the best! 😄

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Bear in mind that it depends on the other students as well. If they are really strong then maybe they can't be caught... but then, maybe they were going to be ahead of you no matter what.

You mentioned missing a lot of school time, have you looked into misadventure provisions for special consideration (or whatever it is called now)?

Regarding chemistry, if you truly do understand equilibrium then acids and bases should be something you can be supported to understand as the difficult ideas in acids and bases (in my opinion) are more related to equilibrium. However, acids and bases is (again in my opinion) the classic place for the idea of multiple models / concepts where the issue is not a better one having replaced an older conception, but rather multiple conceptions that are useful in different concepts.

You can always post some questions in the chemistry forum, or seek more help at school or from friends or a tutor. One or more friends that can help you to understand will also be consolidating their own understanding, so peers working together can be mutually beneficial. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)