english ... (1 Viewer)

user.125

HSC
Hey guys
was wondering if you had any advice for how to study or do better in eng adv. My school is really strong in English but I struggle with it a lot and its quite demotivating.... Any tips or advice would be appreciated :smile:

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey!

I suggest knowing your text really well, and practicing as much as possible.

In terms of what I mean by knowing your text well, this includes going beyond than just reading it. Have a table and include for every theme, characters, quotes, techniques, analysis etc. Practice as many papers as you get your hands on, ask your school/ex-students for past papers and practice questions and submit that for marking so that you know your areas of improvement.

Also, maybe you consider getting a tutor to help motivate you and improve your results in English.

All the best

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
- Quote banks
- Sparknotes
- Read assigned texts in it's entirety! If you can, read during the holidays prior to starting on it, as you will find classes a breeze. Also what delineates those who present average responses to those who have excellent responses is the extent of their textual understanding. Hence, by reading the text twice (at home prior, and during classes), you will be able to engage in better analysis.
- What I find the most effective of all: Develop and regularly add to / redraft paragraphs on broad exam-style questions that can be adapted to most if not all questions. By doing this, you are developing very strong and meticulously refined paragraphs with quotes + explanations whilst simultaneously preparing for upcoming exams etc, instead of formulating mediocre essays in close proximity to tasks.

These are simply the things that work for me and what I'd suggest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)