english texts (1 Viewer)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i just read handmaid's tale and emma for english

despite myself being a male, emaa was very interesting and hand maids tale was just wierd, alot of open ends but great for analysis

anyone else doing either of those texts who wants to discuss them

Nupil

HSC
N/A
I did Emma much like practically half the state ... more of a skimming re-read though. I havn't done Handmaid's Tale ... but it does put me in mind of an english text I did in year 8! Midwife's Apprentice

... I know they're completely unrelated, but the name triggered a memory. I don't like Emma very much. At all really.

Actually this thread and the idea of english texts makes me wonder... I don't know if anyone else has brought this up - but do you think English has made you more analytical of what you read for pleasure? Do you look for meaning? And can you discern a text from a novel? Is there a difference to you? And do you ever go around "discussing" books you've read out of your own choice?

I'm just curious how the meeting of a liking of reading and then a forcing of studying the written word turns out. Any thoughts any one? Any sense in there?

Feeling lazy again - scuse typos

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
ye i know wat you mean. whenever i watch a film, implicitly i take in everything. I don't then go and analyse it with my friends (for obvious reasons) plus english hasn;t taken me that far. But certainly english extn 1 has changed the way i analyse characters as i read and watch books and movies

token girl

HSC
definitely....its really irritating going to the movies or something with a couple of friends and analysing the positions of characters in relation to each other, or the camera angles etc!! Its useful to get more out of the movie but it sure ruins the atmosphere!

novels not so much....depends if I'm really engrossed in the story or not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)