English syllabuses, new and old - what're your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Which HSC English syllabus would you prefer?

• The new syllabus which allows students to study different texts in different ways

Votes: 49 61.3%
  • The old syllabus which forces students to study the same texts in the same ways

Votes: 31 38.8%

• Total voters

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Weisy

Extension I was loads of fun. It was just good to study one area in depth over a whole year, instead of a few texts very flimsily. The different areas meant that you could choose what area you wanted to focus on. Liking what you study naturally makes actively seek knowledge and understanding because you want to learn, not because it's a syllabus dot point you have to tick off. I found that I learnt not only about the genre I was studying, but about how to render and interpret a work as a subject from different social and historical viewpoints.
Yes, extenison was MUCH better. It was great. I did "GENRE - CRIME FICTION" and I feel I got a lot more out of that than I did from my wide reading for "change". I now watch/read MUCH more crime fiction than I used to because of it ...

B

Bambul

Originally posted by cpd
My most positive thing I got out of the English Syllabus was the amount of sleep I caught up on in class.

I'm serious!

Our teacher was one of those ones that drone on and on, and because she spent way too long on any given topic, 90% of my class was asleep at any given time. Had she been more interesting/enthused, I think we may have actually paid attention. *sigh* Oh well.
We had a lot of people sleeping through our English classes too. I once asked my teacher why she never woke any of them up and she said "If they're sleeping, they're not talking". Made sense to me! :D

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
positive things out of english.... tough question...

:mad1:

Not much... lots of sleep... yes that was oki
uh... other than that nothing... i wrote a bunch of poems which was good...but i was actually meant to be writing an essay.... sooooo.... that mightn't have been as good...

oh i like The Door poem... that was cool.... except our teacher didnt want to study it at all so i did it at home by my self before the trials...ie the night before the trials...
:cool:

advice for BOS... bring back creative writing, bring in interesting books and TRAIN YOUR TEACHERS... that way we might actualy listen to them if we thought they knew something...

he he

SgtSlick

Originally posted by Ozz^E

well then, someone better inform 'no one' that reading brave new world under oen voilition isnt popular.

;)
Hehehe....well thats about all i have to say about that...

SgtSlick

there were positives to english ext 1:

retreat from the global was interesting, and whilst i didnt much like "THE BONE PEOPLE" Im sure that I am better for it. I also wouldnt have read shipping news on my own either, i actually LOVED that book!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Well, I think I've run out of all the positive things (at least, without becoming awfully redundant, not that I'm not already)...

Postmodernism was good fun, except that for the first half of the year nobody knew what it really was :D

James, we still didn't get to hear your opinion *cough*

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i prefered the old syllabus, cos with postmodernism we never learnt any of it and im lazy; dun wanna learn critical study, context and all that jargon

all our junior years of english were based on the old syllabus, so the old syllabus is better imo

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
The years 7-10 english syllabus was really crap. The new HSC course really helps you to analyze texts and make informed opinions based on the language techniques used. It is much more applicable to the real world as we are bombarded by different text types for example in newspapers.

And to all those people who think 2 unit english should be more creative, go do 3 and 4 unit english. That's what it is there for. Since they make english compulsory, it is only fair that logical minded people like myself are able to do english without needing to be excessively creative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)