English Standard alignment makes no sense (1 Viewer)

Interdice

HSC
I looked at the atar scaling for English standard from aligned marks and the difference wasn't that different. Literally a .10 difference most of the time, and assumed that the difference was from alignment. I looked at alignment and discovered that alignment for English standard is not that bad.

To get a band 6 in advanced you must get around 80. Comparatively, you must get an 87 in standard to get a band 6.

There is definitely a difference, but is it really that hard to get a band 6 in standard if you just have to get an 87? I looked online, and apparently, 300 students out of like 30 000 get a band 6.

Also, how can I get good marks in standard?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
My understanding is that the lower number of students who achieve a band 6 in English Standard compared to English Advanced is primarily due to the generally inferior capacities of students who take English Standard compared to those who take English Advanced, which implies fewer instances of English Standard students performing at a level that is sufficiently high to be awarded a band 6 compared to their English Advanced counterparts. The higher raw mark required to achieve an Examination Mark in the band 6 region for English Standard (which is consistent with your point) also contributes to this lower number. An important thing to note in response to your question is that a lower number of band 6's will not necessarily impact your own ability to achieve a band 6, especially if you are an academically capable student. This means that with the appropriate preparations, you can definitely achieve a band 6 in English Standard.

Favourable performance in English Standard will require substantial knowledge of your prescribed texts especially for the Common Module, Module A and Module B, so that you are able to develop good quality responses for your school-based assessment tasks/exams and most importantly, the HSC exam. Additionally, you should regularly complete practice material, including questions targeting each module as well as questions targeting unseen texts in order to improve your analytical ability, while also seeking feedback on your responses from your teacher whenever possible and implementing any suggestions that they may make.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)