English Is.... (1 Viewer)

SgtSlick

"English is the most boring high school subject on Earth, and hence, is also the only compulsory subject"

You have been asked to prepare a radio interview bewteen two prominent theorists from differing cultural contexts, both of whom believe that teenage suicide can be directly correlated to the mind-numbingly lame english lessons of the HSC.

In your answer, make sure you explore the question in relation to the texts you have been set for study ("English sux arse", "English, English, why for am I punished?" and "Your life after HSC english") Two texts of YOUR OWN choosing (Your teacher will choose those for you) and the stimulus booklet (full of boring-arse students work).

HAhaha..........ah....... :chainsaw:

HSC
I honestly don't know why people hate english so much...

It's definitely one of the more interesting subjects, I don't know about you but I find "Frontline" (Hilarious) and "Brave New World/ Blade Runner" (Interesting) much better than the stuff you do in other subjects, e.g. maths remembering a bunch of formulae, ipt memorising the textbook etc....

Hell you even get to write about other texts that you love, like your favourite book or movie, in the essays for change and maybe even representation and texts....

Morgues

I don't mind the actual content of English but I sure hate writing three consequtive 40 minute essay to demonstrate what you have learned over the year
I also hate the lack of predictability........thats why english is one of the most stressful exams (not sure why its first up)........at least in other subjects you know what to expect

Milly

The modules are okay, but Area of Study is bullshit. "The only thing we can say about change is that it is inevitable." Oh please, I think I shall puke.

Lack of predictability, Morgues? I always thought English was the most predictable subject - do enough practice essays, and you figure out you can write the same stuff for every question (more or less), if you just adapt your introduction and summing up sentences of each paragraph.

HSC
Originally posted by Milly
The modules are okay, but Area of Study is bullshit. "The only thing we can say about change is that it is inevitable." Oh please, I think I shall puke.

Lack of predictability, Morgues? I always thought English was the most predictable subject - do enough practice essays, and you figure out you can write the same stuff for every question (more or less), if you just adapt your introduction and summing up sentences of each paragraph.
I enjoy the area of study personally, and I don't know whats wrong with saying that change is inevitable, its something that applies to all areas of life...

I agree with what you say about it being pretty predictable tho, except the creative section of the area of study which is completely unpredictable....

Dario

HSC
Originally posted by Morgues
I don't mind the actual content of English but I sure hate writing three consequtive 40 minute essay to demonstrate what you have learned over the year
I also hate the lack of predictability........thats why english is one of the most stressful exams (not sure why its first up)........at least in other subjects you know what to expect
English is first because everybody does the Area Of Study and most of the state also does Advanced paper 2, so the English exam takes the longest to mark as there are many more answer booklets to mark than in any other exam.

Milly

Originally posted by mercurydrinker

I enjoy the area of study personally, and I don't know whats wrong with saying that change is inevitable, its something that applies to all areas of life...
I'm just saying it's so bloody obvious that change is inevitable, change is a complex concept, change is a continuous process, change can be positive or negative etc. that I don't get why you need to talk about five to six texts to prove it!! I still say death to Area of Study :hammer:

English is.......
FUN FUN FUN!
(you guys that hate english must have really crappy teachers with no passion to teach!)
:read:

Arch-man

English is interesting if your teacher makes it interesting. Although no matter how hard you try, you so cannot make Emma interesting...

quartic

Originally posted by Arch-man
Although no matter how hard you try, you so cannot make Emma interesting...
Dude are you knocking Austen? How uncultured!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)