English is a joke (1 Viewer)

MilfordSound

Its funny that i dont need engineering to be an engineer, but i need to understand some shithouse poem
top stuff BOS, you are truly moronic

rushworld

HSC
I couldn't agree more. English should not be compulsory, I can write a decent essay, speech, story, or article in a real life situation. I could also do a very detailed comprehension task on a poem, prose, essay, etc if I had the time.

No matter how prepared you are for an exam, you do not know what the questions are. It's easy for Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, etc because there is a question, and there is only 1 answer. You just have to study the syllabus, with English there could be any number of answers, and instead of getting marked 1, or even 5 for a question, it's worth 15. So if you get 10 out of 15 that's only 66% *sigh*.

English is the only subject I'll get a bad grade on during these exams, because of this exact reason. If I was able to do another subject other than English I would have done Geography, and I got top of the class in Years 9 and 10, and even got a High Distinction in the Geograpghy Competition (though the competition is quite simple heh). So in esscence, I could have probably received a Band 6 result for Geography, and Band 5 or 6 results for the rest of my exams (Maths, Physics, Software Design, and I already have a high band 5 in IT).

Oh well, that was my two cents *wanders off to find English teacher*

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
well the government was forced to make english compulsory, due to the influx of migrants, and also to increase literary levels and crap like that. :eek:

SXC_DRAGON_BOY

Been A While
HSC
i think they made it compulsory due to the fact that ppl ovaseas r very good at maths. therefore when eng wasnt compulory, they neva chose it and did 4 unit maths and maths type subjects.... so when they aced the hsc, they still didnt know english...
but yeah eng is bulls..t

eeyore

yeah
but i don't quite understand how this is going to make it any harder for 'migrants' etc because they just memorise their essays and rewrite them anyway

english is probably one of my poorer subjects :(

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by eeyore
yeah
but i don't quite understand how this is going to make it any harder for 'migrants' etc because they just memorise their essays and rewrite them anyway

english is probably one of my poorer subjects :(
Isn't that what most people is supposed to do? :eek: :confused:

Amish

HSC
N/A
english IS my worst subject. I don't see how us knowing how to analyse a bullshit poem is going to help us in life. Literacy levels...did the school certificate proove we could all read and write? It is also bullshit that ESL gets better Scaling then standard...this clearly comming from someone who does standard....even though english was not my first language....I really wonder what the actual reasons are for making it compulsary all the way through, poems aint gonna help many people, and on top of that they make sure it counts for UAI...whats going on there

Rahul

Dead Member
hahah yeh, i dont think he has mentioned what UAI he got ;)

i bet cyph/lazy cant wait to find out the good news :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)