English and Modern History (1 Viewer)

waxycuticle

HSC
Hey guys! I'm in Year 10 currently and I'm taking 3U English and Modern History next year! I was wondering if there was a correlation between doing well in English and doing well in Modern History? I've heard mixed responses on this. I really love English, so I picked Ext 1, but my marks aren't at the top (I average around low to middle 80s at a pretty low-ranked school, where half of my grade don't really try :( ). Will this have an effect on my Modern History marks? I heard that if you're good at one, it'll help with the other, but I also heard that if I'm not doing that well in English or Modern, I won't do well with the other. Did anyone else do 3U English and Modern and have any opinions on this?

88hSvk;io

HSC
Hi :) I just finished my HSC and did both 4u eng and modern. I feel like there is some overlap in the subjects; the better your essay writing is overall (answering the question, flow of argument) the better you will do in both subjects, and to some extent a better historical understanding helps with context for ex1, which is a big part of essays. But honestly I feel like the focus of modern is more facts and memorisation, your ability to grasp complex historical events and have your own judgement, and you don't necessarily have to be godly at english to do that - just be passionate about history and willing to learn the content. While for ex1, there is a lot more variability in what they can ask u to do, its a lot more unpredictable and requires more adaptability and skills than just understanding the content.

I recommend you doing both to start off with, you can always drop one later based on how you are travelling. Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)