english advanced rubric (1 Viewer)

user9314

HSC
N/A
Hello,

Asking on behalf of many people, and realised I didn't know this myself but it says
- developing an integrated analysis of textual form and purpose rather than focusing on themes

What exactly does this mean?

aulinia

HSC
Hello,

Asking on behalf of many people, and realised I didn't know this myself but it says
- developing an integrated analysis of textual form and purpose rather than focusing on themes

Textual form and purpose as in the use of structure, language techniques and devices. Rather than focusing on themes you look at the text through a deeper lens - analyse the structure, language techniques and devices (or how the text is put together entirely) and how this affects the meaning that the composer is trying to communicate, instead of just listing themes of the text.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Hello,

as the user above said u literally just focus on the text as a whole, i.e its form
Surely u have written an essay to a question hat specifically asks for form as the dux of such a good school right

user9314

HSC
N/A
Textual form and purpose as in the use of structure, language techniques and devices. Rather than focusing on themes you look at the text through a deeper lens - analyse the structure, language techniques and devices (or how the text is put together entirely) and how this affects the meaning that the composer is trying to communicate, instead of just listing themes of the text.
Yes, I understand to that extent lol thank you. I meant like does that mean we categorise paragraphs based on the puroose/decives etc? because, all my high school I grouped them based on messages the author had (e.g. arg1. author says education helps women surpass boundaries imposed on them) but some people are suggesting it be based on techniques (e.g. author uses characterisation to show...) and the whole paragraph is based on characterisation

hscgirl

HSC
Surely u have written an essay to a question hat specifically asks for form as the dux of such a good school right
i agree with aeonium not to start this again, but yes i agree with u there's no way she can be a dux who has graduated given she asked such a q 🙄🙄

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Yes, I understand to that extent lol thank you. I meant like does that mean we categorise paragraphs based on the puroose/decives etc? because, all my high school I grouped them based on messages the author had (e.g. arg1. author says education helps women surpass boundaries imposed on them) but some people are suggesting it be based on techniques (e.g. author uses characterisation to show...) and the whole paragraph is based on characterisation
u could approach it in a billion different ways (You probably understand to this extent as well)
since the question is about form u would talk about how it is used to achieve the authors purpose, the text u study is obv gonna influence this e.g. the cyclical three part structure of 1984 or the third person limited narration of the persona of winston smith (key examples in 1984). U still have to link it to themes through form.

user9314

HSC
N/A
u could approach it in a billion different ways (You probably understand to this extent as well)
since the question is about form u would talk about how it is used to achieve the authors purpose, the text u study is obv gonna influence this e.g. the cyclical three part structure of 1984 or the third person limited narration of the persona of winston smith (key examples in 1984). U still have to link it to themes through form.
its not a question, I was reading thru the documents on the nesa website lol

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
if its general essay feedback then
I believe NESA is referring to the fact that u don't just vomit out paragraphs of themes and analysis and unrelated stuff but actually engage with the question & the text through its form for a more holistic response, through which you can implement relevant themes and stuff. (e.g how how the limited narration of 1984 allows orwell's (purpose) and u talk about the idea e.g. linguistic determinism allowing for collective control)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)