engineering and international studies at UTS (1 Viewer)

auston123

HSC
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone is doing engineering combined with international studies at UTS and if so i got many questions.
1) Is it demanding doing 2 degrees?
2) What do you do in engineering or international studies? (i know this question sounds dumb)
3) What country are you interested in studying in?

Silly Sausage

HSC
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone is doing engineering combined with international studies at UTS and if so i got many questions.
1) Is it demanding doing 2 degrees?
2) What do you do in engineering or international studies? (i know this question sounds dumb)
3) What country are you interested in studying in?
I don't do it but I have considered the exact same thing.

1) Not really, unless if its related to your engineering major with the exception of commerce.
2) Yes, it does sound dumb, why don't you Google it? If you are considering it you should have at least known what it involves right now (hint - maths, maths, physics and more maths).
Looking at your previous posts you seem to be doing general mathematics. In this case you WILL most likely struggle with the quantitative aspect even with a bridging course since the assumed knowledge is already two-steps ahead of you (It is not uncommon for people have who have done extension 1 and 2 to fail, so keep that in mind). If you are considering engineering for the prospects/pay you and have no interest you are guaranteed to fail just like countless other people, I know this sounds harsh but it is the reality.

For international studies you basically study your chosen country's culture and language. You will spend two semesters at the country as an exchange student.

Last edited:

auston123

HSC
Yea thanks for the response. Haha yeah but i wanted to get a personal perspective of a person who does engineering on what they do if you get what i mean.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Doing a second degree with engineering nearly always lowers your work load per semester. In engineering you do maths, physics, more maths, more physics, more physics... you get the point ;) If your maths skills aren't up to scratch, you will find it very hard. I'm not too bad at maths (did 4U in high school) and I STILL find the maths and physics quite hard.

Simorgh

HSC
Doing a second degree with engineering nearly always lowers your work load per semester. In engineering you do maths, physics, more maths, more physics, more physics... you get the point ;) If your maths skills aren't up to scratch, you will find it very hard. I'm not too bad at maths (did 4U in high school) and I STILL find the maths and physics quite hard.
Wot about civil? I heard compared to all the other engineering course civil apparently uses the least maths? Someone I know who does Engineering at UNSW specifically referred to it as the dumbest engineering.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, civil is a lot easier. Civil and chem are (from what I hear) the easiest engineering streams. Although that being said they are still quite challenging, even if not as hard as electrical or mechanical.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, civil is a lot easier. Civil and chem are (from what I hear) the easiest engineering streams. Although that being said they are still quite challenging, even if not as hard as electrical or mechanical.
I heard chem isn't that much of a sausage fest

Silly Sausage

HSC
Civil is considered the "easiest" along with environmental but I've heard chemical is quite hard with all the process and reaction engineering involved + the massive workload. Anyways no engineering course is considered "easy" by any means really.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
This thread is starting to go mildly off topic. Post in reference to the questions asked please.

Is it demanding doing two degrees?

Do remember that your workload each semester of a dual degree program would be the same as a single degree program. The difference in the end is how long you stay at uni and there will be a few different rules for the completion of the program.

What do you do in engineering?

As someone already answered, there's a lot of maths involved. Physics is subjective to what engineering you are doing. There also might be a bit of Chemistry, circuit theory, dynamics and kinematics, research, Biology, etc.

If you want a more detailed explanation on engineering, it will need to gauge more on which areas of engineering you are interested in. Each one can be quite different from other areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)