enantiostasis (1 Viewer)

felafel

ah this is such an ambiguous term . . .

what have you guys learnt at school?

what's the difference between enantiostasis and homeostasis?

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
The definition of enantiostasis I learnt had that it was in the absence of homeostasis (e.g. estuarine fish - changing the osmotic gradient by taking in salt) but I never really understood the difference. In the above example other factors change to compenste for the extra salt but it is still attempting to minimise change i.e. loss of water. :confused:

felafel

hmmm my teacher talked about osmoregulators and osmoconformers - eg estuarine fish - when he talked about enantiostasis . . .

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
osmo is related to water (well duh... stupid xiao =p blehz) osmoregulator is there to help the brain to coordinate the water concentration(hence the concentration of all solute in blood)...

no idea abt the osmoconformer tho... timmy may haf an idea... don't do estuarine fish tho, do mangrove ... KISS yea?? simple n stupid...

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
straight from my notes:

Homeostasis is the process in which organisms maintain a relatively stable internal environment regardless of external environmental changes
Enantiostasis is the maintenance of metabolic physiological functions in response to variations or sudden fluctuations in the environment.

Osmoconformers: most marine invertebrates - they allow the osmolarity of their interstitial fluid and blood to follow that of the environment.
Osmoregulators: most marine vertebrates- they use active transport to maintain a constant osmoregularity of blood and interstitial fluid regardless of changes in the surrounding water

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm, nice kimmel. ^^ learnt something new 2day...

aprt from i need to complete this essay!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
haha was about to post;
then i saw kimmeh
kimmeh: perfect. just use the syllabus defns

osmoconformers: follow the environment (conform- follow)
regulators- regulate their internal environment

so yeah if u forget, just deduce it from the suffixes:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)