Elements for a great novel (1 Viewer)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
god, there are some very bored people in this world.

Just say you like humour in a novel. ;)

But yeah, nice detailed post. :)

And don't mind Gregor Samsa, Gregor loves classics. Doesn't really enjoy the good fantasy book with a storyline as much as you and me. :p hehe joking

anyway, Gregor? Can you please recommend a few high culture novels that aren't extremely boring? My teacher REALLY wants me to start, esp as i absolutely bombed out in the first advanced english assessments, mainly (according to my teacher) for using simple language instead of language that expresses flair. And my teacher said I waffle on due to lack of vocabulary. Bah him.

but i think I should read good classics instead of trash in the form of fantasy books.

Last edited:

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Gregor Samsa: I recognise the very point of Utopia - I'm more than aware that it's a running social commentary on 16th Century Europe. I was just pointing out that I think something needs to happen for me to enjoy a novel. The wonders of subjectivity (ain't it great?):D

And while I'm sure many before me have enjoyed it for what it offers intellectually, as a novel I can't say that it was as pleasing as what a good intrigue and plot offer. And I have to make one point - you said yourself that it makes for an interesting text. In my eyes something that can make for an interesting text, rendering itself to analysis on several levels and bringing depths of understanding doesn't always make for something that is a good novel. Something that you just read for the pure pleasure of reading.

And gah I should learn to pay attention, shouldnt I? I think one person and type another. I did mean Gregor Samsa in my previous post

And I dont have anything against The Classics. I enjoy Ulysses by Joyce. I read Austen, Bronte, and Dickens (in small tasteful doses) , though I admit that my taste runs with Fantasy before the classics. Its just that with the classics that I do prefer, I prefer a sense of something happening. I would rather read a novel over an essay, unless I was in the mood for it :) (which considering at the moment I can barely remember what makes for a good essay ... Im going to choose the novel, not the text! Yay for post-HSC memory loss)

And with that, I'm off to devour a romance novel :p

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Nupil
Gregor Samsa: I recognise the very point of Utopia - I'm more than aware that it's a running social commentary on 16th Century Europe. I was just pointing out that I think something needs to happen for me to enjoy a novel. The wonders of subjectivity (ain't it great?):D [...]

And with that, I'm off to devour a romance novel :p
Of course literary tastes are subjective. Its just from your post you criticised Utopia purely on the criteria of an 'intriguing' plot [Something More never really intended], without mentioning your understanding of the social commentary. Therefore, I thought I'd defend it as such. (Hindsight is 20/20 afterall.)

Anyway, Literature doesn't have to be viewed as an absolute divide between 'Fantasy' and 'Classics' (Although very few other genres are mentioned in here for some reason..). There are many genres, sub-genres and shades-of-grey in between to complicate matters. Its fine to like both, and I never said that it wasn't.

Instead, my own inherently subjective contextually derived tastes lean towards intellectually stimulating (Not always though..The Hitchhiker's Guide series is hillarious, and a great read without making deep comments on the human condition.), oft-'Classic' novels.

All a matter of perspective, and some 'elitism' is allowed, lest extreme relativism becomes the norm..

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
a common theme that relates to the reader
imagination

yes definately originality

any text that takes you on a enjoyable journey that makes u apathise with the character and doesnt waffle on

whatever holds my interest is whatever relates to human emotion
EEEeeeeeeek! Someone said Journeys!

A book *must*, absolutely *must* get somewhere in the first chapter, or I'll put it down and never read it again. I may have missed some great books this way, but I feel its not worth my time, and its sheer laziness/writers block on the authors part.
Humour is good in all its forms, but only where appropriate. An author who can make you visual the scenery, the characters, and the action, without writing 15 pages of introduction, is a prize indeed.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
the guy you want is matthew reilly. He'll go from heaven to hell in the first page. lol, so much happens.

Anyway, CAN you recommend a few books Gregor? Would really appreciate it.

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
Of course literary tastes are subjective.

Anyway, Literature doesn't have to be viewed as an absolute divide between 'Fantasy' and 'Classics' (Although very few other genres are mentioned in here for some reason..). There are many genres, sub-genres and shades-of-grey in between to complicate matters. Its fine to like both, and I never said that it wasn't.

All a matter of perspective, and some 'elitism' is allowed, lest extreme relativism becomes the norm..
I never meant to give the impression that literature is divided between those two genres, I was merely taking note of the fact that more often than not I seem to quote fantasy novels - and fantasy novels seem to provide the backdrop of what largely I believe are elements to a good novel.

I think few other genres (i.e Fantasy & 'The Classics') are mentioned for the reason that either they're not big enough (e.g. Historical Romances - how many would post in such a thread?) and also that more often than not our experiences with 'literature' have lead us to those genres. School seems to nurture the notion of classics (in the fear that appreciation for the classics is dieing?) while fantasy is seen as a break away from reality - the reason why books, TV and movies became so popular. And I must say that I do like both, it's all about the mood. And moods effect everything in life - don't they?

The fantasy genre could also be so readily mentioned because it's become so accessible. Without being able to be divided into 'high-brow' or 'low-brow' culture - because it's removed from the confines of the society we all know, it allows itself to escape those divisions ... allowing for a great readership across ages and types of people based on demogrpahic and psychological features.

And re-reading my post, I do acknowledge that I didn't seem to give exactly what seemed to be the most informed opinion of Utopia ... but I still hold with the fact that I find it boring :p and still will always think of it as a text before a novel.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
bleh... u made me read all thru that... and i still come out the other side with the same idea i had when i saw the topic.

Great novel =
- character relationship (bond between author and reader, bond between character and reader.. not to mention between characters themselves)

that to me is all a novel needs to be decent. Doesnt matter where its set, what genre, what era, or anything else... without that relationship the plot could be the best plot ever put to paper and it would still be shite.

Plot is important of course, it carrys the character and its relationships, but as i said without the character relationships it would mean jack crap.

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
i wrote a story for 4U English back in 03. I scored an E4 - naturally ;)

I say the elements for a great novel would be words. You definitely need them.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
how bout posting up the work? may I read it? i'm doing 4u english this year. ^_^ and i'm hoping to get an E4 - naturally. ;)

you DID do (a) short stories/story, right? mm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)