Drop chem or bio? (1 Viewer)

woodentable

HSC
Hi everyone,

So it’s probably gonna be quite a while until I actually drop a subject (I’m in year 11) but I do two sciences right now and I feel like the workload is too much, especially since yk I’m not crazy in love with either of them. I think I prefer chem to bio since I normally dread going to bio class. But I also have a pretty bad teacher for chemistry. I also did pretty bad on the first test for chemistry compared to the bio test. I have a chemistry tutor and I feel like chemistry is more fun since there are calculations but I feel like there’s more chance that I’ll do better in bio since my marks are better. I also feel like I’m failing chem because I liek never do my homework but then again, I was like really struggling with some of the concepts and could fully not do the questions. I also feel like chem has more use like in the future compared to bio. Also, right now, my subjects are ext 1 math, French cont ( which I might drop if I get into ext 2 math), bio, chem, society and culture and English adv!

pls help a girl out!

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
Do you know what you want to do after high school? Chem tends to be more common in terms of assumed knowledge and recommended studies.

Also from your msg, it seems like you enjoy chem way more than bio. Generally speaking, people tend to do better in subjects that they enjoy. After all, its only your first test, just because you didn't do well in it, doesnt mean you won't do well in future chem tests. Have faith in youself! Maybe start with doing homework to see how well you go with chem? anyways gl!

band6yesplease

HSC
Do you know what you want to do after high school? Chem tends to be more common in terms of assumed knowledge and recommended studies.

Also from your msg, it seems like you enjoy chem way more than bio. Generally speaking, people tend to do better in subjects that they enjoy. After all, its only your first test, just because you didn't do well in it, doesn't mean you won't do well in future chem tests. Have faith in yourself! Maybe start with doing homework to see how well you go with chem? anyways gl!
I AGREE!! If you enjoy Chem more 100% keep it because you're never gonna force yourself to do Bio homework etc if you hate it.
I struggled with Prelim Chem concepts too but my friends who still do Chem now said for some reason they become more understandable in Year 12.
With the effort you've put into chem with a tutor as well, I'd say you're more motivated to keep it. I also think Math extension 1 is more compatible with chem than bio maybe so in terms of that Chem wins too.
Anyway don't worry about it till the time comes cause you can still base it off your Prelim results or something like that.
Goodluck :))

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Firstly: Chem year 12 >>> chem year 11
Secondly: Chem scaling >> Bio scaling

keep in mind, chem harder than bio, bio more memorising content than chem

depends on what you prefer

I went into year 12 being absolute shit (ish) at chem, picked it up (honestly find a tutor, it really helps), and now i'm doing equally (if not slightly better overall) in chem than bio

whatever decision will be the correct decision - don't stress too much over it! you still have plenty of time to decide, and you can even drop midway through year 12 if things are still feeling rough in one subject or the other

i agree the workload can be tough though - in the end - your decision <3

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
I do both chem and bio, and all I can say is that I used to flop chem a lot in yr 11 but a really good private tutor helped me like chem more. My main tip for chem is just try to study ahead of the class so you don't get fumbled in the small intricacies when you're first introduced it. For bio, it's best to just make flashcards and do papers. i love both subjects so i cant rlly say what u can drop but pick the one that you think that would be useful down the line for your career.

Like the people above, year 12 chem is way better than year 11 . Likewise with bio, but just more memorising.

Think of this mainly, which subject do you see yourself surviving when you're doing your hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)