Double Spacing (1 Viewer)

d.i.m.e Babii

HSC
I just realised that a criteria in the presentation was that poems had to be double spaced.
When I double spaced my poems, the layout changes dramatically and destroys the pattern which I had previously set out.
It looks very unappealing with most poems spread out over 2 pages.

How are most of you setting it out? Are you putting one poem each page regardless of the length? Or are you splitting the page into two columns? Or are you letting the poems run on from page to page simply leaving space between the end of a poem and the title of the next?

I hope I don't sound too confusing.

shimmy&shine

HSC
I understand. That was something I had to consider as well. I utilised concrete verse in many of my poems and when I double spaced them it looked really distorted and less powerful even. So subtley, both my ee2 teachers couldn't tell the difference, I used 1.5 spacing for a few, however,

............................that
................probably...............wasn't a
.......................problem because
................I..........wrote like..........this

1.5 spaced. (IGNORE the dots)

Anyway, strictly speaking it NEEDS to be double spaced, no but and ifs, unless the marker can't tell the difference ;)

You'll have to re format and structure them unfortunately, but you never know, they might even look better.

I have poems running over two pages, only because it is impossible that they don't because of its length, but that's normal. THe marker will take this into account. If the strongest aspect of your poems are visual then you'll just have to work with it. And also, you can only have A4 pages, so yeah.

I kind of stuck with the double-space rule form the beginning though so it wasn't a problem for me, but don't worry too much, because at the end of the day it is the contents of your work that matters.

Depending on how it fits, and avoiding the spill over to another page, I have set 1-2 poems per page. It's just what looks appealing really. I don't like the idea of one poem per page, because (I'm going to go off on a tangent here) the spacial dimensions? and setting out of a poem is a technique in itself.

Some poets
write in a lit
tle square li
ke this- see

And do you see the technique? How its been indented to the far left and that visually impacts the reader. If what I just wrote was alone on one page, then it will look very isolated and this may be what one is attempting to communicate.

Anyway, I hope what I have said has helped. Do not worry too much if your subject matter and contents are strong, this will ultimately come through; the marker will but the 'double-spacing' rule into consideration, they understand- they are nice people, I hope so!; other people will also have the same problem; don't sacrifice anything just for the 'double-spacing'; I don't believe splitting the page into two columns, unless it is a poetic technique (not to accomodate the presentation guidelines) is a good idea, I also had that idea earlier but scrapped it; just make it look NEAT, PREPARED, PRESENTABLE, APPEALING, and ask your ee2 teacher.

Hope what I've said makes sense... good luck.

Last edited:

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
The double spacing is just something to make it easier for the markers to read the works because it's easier to keep track of what line you're up to when they're not clumped together. Might sound trivial but after a few hundred major works, it makes a huge difference. That said, with poetry you could get away with 1.5 spacing OR specifically mention the visual aspects of the poetry in your reflection. The markers will take it into consideration (they're trying to give you as many marks as possible).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)