Double degrees (1 Viewer)

SoFTuaRiaL

no .. sorry :(
i know how u feel .... i wanted to do a double major too, in finance and HR. guess i will have to stick to finance

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Then I might only have to major in finance, then minor in management. :( Also the lecturer guy said only a select few get selected to do the honours year for commerce. How few?

SoFTuaRiaL

i believe it is anyone who gets a cr+ average. but the higher ur average is, the more topics u can choose for ur thesis ....

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Oh, that isn't so bad, so we graduate with both degrees, on either 5th or 6th year depending on honours right?

SoFTuaRiaL

ok, let me put it this way:
without honours, u can graduate from bcom in 4th yr and seng in 5th yr.
with honours in bcom, u can graduate from seng in 5th yr and bcom in 6th yr ....
ofcourse, u can make changes/variations to decide which one u wana graduate from first. its better to graduate from comm in 4th yr, atleast u can get a job while u do ur seng thesis

aspect

Originally posted by Da Monstar
i know ppl doing comm/sci taking 2 majors in commerce .... it is possible
i'm pretty sure you cant do it for finance, accounting or any of the "higher" commerce subjects..

no way you could take enough courses for them to make 2 majors unless you stay longer then 4 years

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Da Monstar
i believe it is anyone who gets a cr+ average. but the higher ur average is, the more topics u can choose for ur thesis ....
I'm not sure how different the requirements are for this new degree, but for general commerce degree's, to be eligible for Honours, u must have a WAM of at least 71.00 throughout ur degree, and u must not have failed a subject

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
I'm not sure how different the requirements are for this new degree, but for general commerce degree's, to be eligible for Honours, u must have a WAM of at least 71.00 throughout ur degree, and u must not have failed a subject
So on the safe side, distinction average with no fails?

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
hmm does that count for both degree's marks or just the ones from that faculty?
Probably just the commerce ones, I doubt eng courses marks will affect the end result of the comm ones.

SoFTuaRiaL

well, in order to be awarded honours for the engg degree, u need to maintain the cr+ average anyways. so u might as well do ur best throughout ....

maniacguy

Comments:

=> Double majors

This depends on which degree you're doing. Normally Commerce/Science students get one major in each, and will finish in four years. Commerce/Arts students are in for five years, but have the bonus of getting two majors in each (if they so choose).
Commerce/Engineering is new, so I don't know what the current policy is - check with Engineering first, then Commerce (Engineering are more likely to be flexible, or such is my experience anyway, if you want to do a double major instead of a single).

Whilst Commerce/Science students CAN do an extra major (I think - I've received several contradictory pieces of advice from Commerce staff at various times), they have to stay an extra year in order to finish it.

=> HECS

You pay whatever the charges are for the subjects you're doing. The fact that you're doing a double degree or any other degree is irrelevant. As long as you get HECS you pay it for the subjects you are doing and only those subjects.

Combined degree students will usually be at uni for a year or two longer, but make up some time because compulsory subjects from one degree are counted as electives for the other (you can't go and ask 'can I get Accounting 1A counted as an Arts elective', for instance, because it's already been done in order to get the 6 years of the combined program down to 5).

=> Honours

The requirements are a 71.00 average in subjects for the discipline you want to do Honours in (and you have to have a major in it - you can't just do Marketing and Finance and then try to claim Accounting Honours based only on Acct 1A, 1B, for instance!:p ). In addition, you can't fail any subject that you're doing*.

That's just a bare minimum though - if you don't get that you automatically get rejected. Gettting a 71 average doesn't automatically mean you'll be allowed to do Honours. That depends on other factors, not least of which is whether you can find a supervisor.

If no member of staff is interested in supervising your thesis topic, then you can't do it. You've either got to find another topic or not do Honours. This is usually not a problem, but does occasionally crop up...

*I'm not sure where Pass Conceded fits in - check this with the School/Department you want to do Honours with.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the very informative post maniac :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)