dot pt 4.2.5. (1 Viewer)

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Could you give us the dot point?
A few of us (I assume) do not have the syllabus at hand.

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Application of superconductivity? that is what it can be used for, e.g. maglev trains, efficient electricity transmission etc..

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
disadv to superconductivity are that for them to run, they need very low temperature and that maintaining these low temps would be very costly.
adv is that it can produce and transmit electricity in large quantities without energy loss due to resistance

cko

HSC
hey while we're on this topic do we have to know two other applications of superconductors besides maglev trains? coz it doesn't seem like there's a dot point about it but my tutor told me i had to know it because they might ask in the HSC. He got asked in the HSC (apparently)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
power storage - think about it... current induced in a SC loop directeded by magnetic fields can last infintely (SMES -superconducting Magnetic energy storage)

hypothetically, power transmission(hasnt really been applied yet)

more effecient motors and generators

josephson junction ie current can pass through an insulator btween 2 supercondutors... useful as a highly sensitive and fast switch.
-used for SQUID(Superconducting Quantum Interfering Devices) which can b used 2 map atommic structure and eaths magnetic fields
-also can contribute 2 future development of tetraflop computers (though alternate paths seems more likely)

MRI in medicine

also a major disadvantage 4 superconductors is that HTSC which can operate by using relatively cheap liquid nitrogen r very fragile and unsuitable 4 many of the applications

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
also a major disadvantage 4 superconductors is that HTSC which can operate by using relatively cheap liquid nitrogen r very fragile and unsuitable 4 many of the applications
and this is due to them being ceramics, which have a low ductility reducing their ability to be drawn into wire and have high brittleness and low toughness which means they can't stand shock loads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)