Dot point (1 Viewer)

Premus

"gather, process and present secondary information to discuss how shortcomings in available communication technology lead to an increased knowledge of the properties of materials with particular reference to the invention of the transistor"

This was a question in the Catholic Trial. I got 3/5 for this question and i wrote abt the development of the transistor and the shortcomings such as Germanium.
Im not really sure abt the "Communication technology" part?

What should you write to get 5/5 ?

Thanks

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
The shortcomings were the vacuum tubes and stuff that made them inadequate

helper

HSC
N/A
The signal's energy is converted into other types in all communication systems. So to send a signal any distance it needs to be amplified. Traditionally amplification was done with thermionic amplifiers like valves. These have disadvantages like being fragile, producing large amounts of heat, not portable, high energy consumption, high currents required. To overcome these disadvantages semi-conductor transistors were produced.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
You also have to address how this lead to an increase in knowledge of materials. Due to these shortcomings large amounts of money were spent into researching how to purify Silicon to levels for use as a semiconductor cheaply this involved learning about it's properties. Germanium was pretty much known and it had a fair few shortcomings so Silicon was heavily researched (to become probably one of the most known about elements)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)