dot point 5.2 and 6.5 (1 Viewer)

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
process and analyse info from secondary sources to identify a current use of gene therapy to manage a genetic disease, a named form of cancer or AIDS

process and analyse info from secondary sources to describe the effect of one named and described genetic mutation on human health

Can anyone help me with these please? thankyou. also, can anyone suggest some advantages and disadvantages of working in a team doing an experiment.
thanks

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
melimoo said:
process and analyse info from secondary sources to identify a current use of gene therapy to manage a genetic disease, a named form of cancer or AIDS

process and analyse info from secondary sources to describe the effect of one named and described genetic mutation on human health

Can anyone help me with these please? thankyou. also, can anyone suggest some advantages and disadvantages of working in a team doing an experiment.
thanks
I have a feeling that these dot points are from the option topic, Genetics. In fact, I'm sure of it, silly you :p

1) Cystic Fibrosis

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder caused by a mutated gene that lacks the DNA sequence for the amino acid phenylalanine, causing a buildup of mucous in the lungs. Somatic gene therapy is used to treat this illness and involves the normal gene being cloned in a bacterium & inserted into a harmless virus. The modified virus is placed into a solution & dripped through the nose down a thin tube into the lungs. The virus then infects the lung cells, inserting itself into the lung cells’ DNA. The cells replicate, producing more cells with the normal gene.

2) Genetic Mutations + Human Health

E.g. Down’s syndrome: either caused by Trisomy or translocation of part of chromosome 21 to 14 or 15. The changes in the chromosome number are caused by a non-disjunction, when chromosomes fail to separate completely in meiosis, resulting in a gamete with 24 chromosomes and one with 22. Facial features are distorted with a prominent forehead, flattened nose, sagging mouth and mild to severe mental retardation. Additionally, Down’s syndrome patients are very susceptible to infectious diseases.

3) Teamwork

I'm sure you could think of something off the top of your head.. :)

- Collaborate on ideas
- People can work at specific areas where they have higher ability than the rest of the group (you could even make up a phrase for this, "skill partitioning" sounds great :p)

- Conflicts may arise
- The freerider problem (<3 Eco, bludgers etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)