Donne (1 Viewer)

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hello,
This was in the Indep paper this yr
"A measure of great poetry is its ability to transcent time and place"

Evaluate the poetry of Donne ...

HOW do I answer this ?, what does it mean?

????????????????????????

Thank you
:confused:

kini mini

HSC
It's roughly equivalent to asking about the reception of Donne's poetry in different contexts - relevance in different times. You might focus on aspects of Donne which you feel resonate today. Personally I'd look at a few critics who showed both sides.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm, i think our teachers ripped that for our trial, coz its EXACTLY the same...
that was my worst section..13/20..

kini mini

HSC
I found that out when I checked my mail about 5 mins after I posted that. I left out the "r" in members :rolleyes:. Have a look now!

TIA

kini mini

HSC
A side note:

The module is called critical study of texts. Obviously, you need your own reading of the poems. But when you refer to other reading of the poems, do you guys name critics and discuss them in detail or do you talk more generally? I've been taught to say things like "Johnson & Dryden have such and such analysis of Donne because..." then belsey says....

What do teachers from other schools think?

ShirLz

yeah refer to critics from different contextz n then say what impact it has on contemporary response to the text :p sthg along the lines - as long as u don't make it into a total critical analysis because they also wanna know about your response as a responder' to the composer's text despite the diffference in context......:chainsaw:

kini mini

HSC
Sorry, I uploaded a new index page but I think I uploaded the wrong version. Updating again now!

2 words - 'textual integrity'....

study of texts and their contexts...

you pretty much have to evaluate his poems, and then evaluate their reception (indicated by readings from various time periods)

and also make sure you know why they are supposedly so great...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
and make sure u have ur own opinion of the value of Donne and his poetry based on YOUR context (usually conveyed indirectly to the marker in the intro and conclusions)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)