Do you start an essay with thesis or hook? (1 Viewer)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
I've been told conflicting information by many teachers. Previously, I've been told that you start your introduction with a hook to lure the reader in, then you gradually work towards your thesis statement, which should be the last sentence of the intro. However, I've recently been told that you must start an essay with a thesis statement and then unpack your thesis throughout your introduction. Which one would you recommend, and most importantly: which one would get the better marks?

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
personally i prefer to start with the thesis as that way just works for me and makes more sense to me.
u should spend like half of ur intro time making ur thesis statement, and it should summarise your essay conceptually, so starting off with that helps u build the rest of ur essay.
also i think most ppl do it this way

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
personally i prefer to start with the thesis as that way just works for me and makes more sense to me.
u should like half of ur intro time making ur thesis statement, and it should summarise you essay conceptually, so starting off with that helps u build the rest of ur essay.
Ty. Can I ask what the 'unpacking' process looks like in an intro? Is it just a summary of the essay?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I've been told conflicting information by many teachers. Previously, I've been told that you start your introduction with a hook to lure the reader in, then you gradually work towards your thesis statement, which should be the last sentence of the intro. However, I've recently been told that you must start an essay with a thesis statement and then unpack your thesis throughout your introduction. Which one would you recommend, and most importantly: which one would get the better marks?
no hook no hook no hook. i do modern history and this is a huge no no

thesis 100% - get to the point, you don't have time in modern history (or any other essay subject) to do a hook. often, your thesis will be a cause-and-effect statement or an overall judgement that is supported by your arguments.

u should spend like half of ur intro time making ur thesis statement, and it should summarise your essay conceptually, so starting off with that helps u build the rest of ur essay.
not necessarily 'conceptual' for modern history, not like english - it's more like you get your judgement across. for example, if you're asked to assess the changing aims of soviet foreign policy (i think this was 2019's hsc), you make a judgement on how those changed - they changed from adhering to international revolution to more pragmatic, diplomatic approaches, etc

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
not necessarily 'conceptual' for modern history, not like english - it's more like you get your judgement across. for example, if you're asked to assess the changing aims of soviet foreign policy (i think this was 2019's hsc), you make a judgement on how those changed - they changed from adhering to international revolution to more pragmatic, diplomatic approaches, etc
WTF this is modern history LMAO
i thought english
I dont even do moderns pls disregard what i just said
am blind

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Ok fair enough. So I suppose the end goal is to sound academic in your intro, which makes sense thinking about it. Is there a way the markers can tell if you actually know what you're talking about or if you're just waffling with big words?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Ok fair enough. So I suppose the end goal is to sound academic in your intro, which makes sense thinking about it. Is there a way the markers can tell if you actually know what you're talking about or if you're just waffling with big words?
well, if you end up using a bajillion big words, probably

a thesis with simplistic language that gets point across will always be >>>>> a thesis that only tells the teachers you have a big vocabulary (or you're trying to look like you do). for modern history though, you also get assessed on whether you use historical terms and concepts appropriately and correctly, so where appropriate, try to integrate the relevant historical term in your thesis. for example, talking about soviet foreign policy for example, you'd want to directly talk about the shift from international revolution and adherence to bolshevik interpretation of marxism to pragmatism and diplomatic relation, using those terms

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
well, if you end up using a bajillion big words, probably

a thesis with simplistic language that gets point across will always be >>>>> a thesis that only tells the teachers you have a big vocabulary (or you're trying to look like you do). for modern history though, you also get assessed on whether you use historical terms and concepts appropriately and correctly, so where appropriate, try to integrate the relevant historical term in your thesis. for example, talking about soviet foreign policy for example, you'd want to directly talk about the shift from international revolution and adherence to bolshevik interpretation of marxism to pragmatism and diplomatic relation, using those terms
Ok, ty. We seem to be in the same two threads at once.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
isnt thesis for essays and hook for ur creatives. like imagine doing ur mod b and being like "TS Eliot was depressed while crafting the exemplary Prufrock or was he?"

dont worry bro essays are just another name for "boring review that no one cares about and u memorised this dont cap u copied this off a SR exemplar ok les see if u use big words and quotes like the SRs oh wow u do oh heres an 18"

edit:

oops i am stupid this is modern history. looks like i didnt learn anything from comprehension. but my point stands but replace TS eliot and prufrock with Adolf Kitler and My struggle

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)