Do u guys think I could make a switch to chem right now from earth in year 11? (1 Viewer)

v.tex

HSC
Hey guys, my chem subject regret has been playing in my mind for a while now and am thinking whether I should just commit and make a switch from earth.
I sorta like earth but feel chem would interest me more and also generally be better off for me in the hsc+ I think i would be pretty decent at chem. This means though i would have to catch up on a huge amount of work and would have to study my ass off to achieve a half decent mark for the chem upcoming assessment. If I get a tutor do you reckon this is possible?? Is it even worth it making a switch this late?+ I think i can likley achieve a band 6 on earth for hsc so this is giving me a hard decision. I spoke to the chem teacher and he said it would be likley a hard switch but it is possible.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I recently responded to a similar thread. Essentially, you should consider the advantages and disadvantages of each potential option, assuming that you are allowed to change your subjects at this stage. One of the most important aspects of year 11 is that none of your results count towards your HSC results or ATAR, thus allowing you to experience a range of subjects and eventually determine the best subject combination as you approach year 12. This means that you may be able to catch up on Chemistry content, and more likely so with the help of a tutor.

However, while being interested in a subject is definitely a valid reason to take it, making an informed decision becomes more complex than mere interest in a unique situation such as this. As such, in determining the advantages and disadvantages, you should consider the following factors:
  • Your current performance in Earth and Environmental Science as well as your performance potential in year 12 - You mentioned that you can likely achieve an HSC mark in the band 6 range for this subject. Based on this, it would be reasonable to assume that your current performance is of a high standard. The main element to consider here is whether you can justify dropping a subject that you are currently performing well in, and are likely to continue performing well in.
  • Your performance potential in Chemistry - Because you have not taken Chemistry, there would naturally be less certainty regarding your ability to perform favourably in this subject compared to EES.
  • The relevance of Chemistry to your studies beyond the HSC (i.e. assumed knowledge) if any - If none, then that serves to further question the option of switching to Chemistry.
I hope this helps! :D

v.tex

HSC
I recently responded to a similar thread. Essentially, you should consider the advantages and disadvantages of each potential option, assuming that you are allowed to change your subjects at this stage. One of the most important aspects of year 11 is that none of your results count towards your HSC results or ATAR, thus allowing you to experience a range of subjects and eventually determine the best subject combination as you approach year 12. This means that you may be able to catch up on Chemistry content, and more likely so with the help of a tutor.

However, while being interested in a subject is definitely a valid reason to take it, making an informed decision becomes more complex than mere interest in a unique situation such as this. As such, in determining the advantages and disadvantages, you should consider the following factors:
  • Your current performance in Earth and Environmental Science as well as your performance potential in year 12 - You mentioned that you can likely achieve an HSC mark in the band 6 range for this subject. Based on this, it would be reasonable to assume that your current performance is of a high standard. The main element to consider here is whether you can justify dropping a subject that you are currently performing well in, and are likely to continue performing well in.
  • Your performance potential in Chemistry - Because you have not taken Chemistry, there would naturally be less certainty regarding your ability to perform favourably in this subject compared to EES.
  • The relevance of Chemistry to your studies beyond the HSC (i.e. assumed knowledge) if any - If none, then that serves to further question the option of switching to Chemistry.
I hope this helps! :D
Is it worth me switching if some uni courses I am thinking of doing mostly have chem as assumed knowledge?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it worth me switching if some uni courses I am thinking of doing mostly have chem as assumed knowledge?
Probably not, especially if there is a Chemistry bridging course available, which you can complete without having to worry about the HSC and will satisfy the assumed knowledge recommendation. Universities including USyd, UNSW and UTS offer Chemistry bridging courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)