Distinctivly visual helppp (1 Viewer)

nicole_i

HSC
hi guys so i am doing Shoehorn Sonata by john Misto for DV and my related text is weapons training by Bruce Dawe

ok im currently trying to relate both text and have 2 points
- how there is camaraderie in one and the other doesn't (it is more like a dictatorship)
- cruelty and abuse of power shown in both texts

and i am stuck on the last one

one point i was thinking of discussing was how there is endurance strength and resilience in the shoehorn but there isnt in weapons training but im not sure what techniques i would use to show that.... well ones i havent used..

pleassssee help i would love you forever <3

HSC
N/A
Well, in both texts I think we can see that war brutalises and dehumanises not only the victims, but those in charge/power as well. It is all a matter of survival. There are many examples of endurance and resilience in "Shoe-Horn"-the fact that a choir was formed and that Sheila and Bridie kept the music going long after the rest of the choir stopped, even when digging graves; the way the women used humour to try to cope-such as the laughter when Curtin told them to "keep smiling", and when Bridie put the rusty pin in Lipstick Larry's loin cloth; the woman (whose name I've forgotten) who kept emptying the bed pans when the group had dysentry and the way Sheila and Bridie supported each other after the gates of the camp were no longer guarded, are just some that I can think of quickly. The sergeant in "Weapons Training" sounds uncaring and harsh, but the reality is, if his recruits don't learn about the reality of war, they won't survive. He's trying to teach them to be resilient and endure, otherwise, the truth is they'll be "dead...dead...dead." One link between the two texts is the use of dry or black humour-a very Australian kind of humour. Dawe employs it to show the brutal nature of war, through looking at someone who HAS to speak in this way to train his men. Misto uses it to show the reilience and coping mechanisms of the women under such terrible circumstances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)