difference between arts and commerce? (1 Viewer)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
hey dudes and dudettes

i am thinking abt doing a combined law degree at unsw (or syd) but dunno whether i should combine it with com or law... i lyk both maths and essay writing.....i am doing 4u eng and 4u maths atm.....but i must say essay writing is so time consumin for meeh...i enjoy economics and other social science subjects (in yr 11 i did eco, biz and legal as my electives), so i dunt really know which one to pick..combined arts? or combined law?

looking fwwd to ur advice.

thankz!

tib

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
TIB: In an honest and unbiased opinion, you are much more likely to gain a more secure and enjoyable occupation after you graduate with a BCom LLB than with an BA LLB. However of course I realise this is all relative. If u want to become a general lawyer, I guess it wouldnt really matter. But if u want to work in the field of business or finance etc, a commerce/law degree would be of greater benefit.

Also, in commerce, there isnt really any essay writing at all, depending on your major. However with arts, u get em ALL the time (just ask Asq)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
thankz minai and asq... yeah i know if i do b arts by itself....its less *pratical* (in terms of employment opportunites) than a b com degree

orginalli i was gonna choose com/law at both unis....but after hearing pplz suggestions i am just wondering if i should ifferntiate ie:

- law/arts at syd
- law/com at unsw

right now i think i dont b\mind either degress...but i do enjoy numbers a lil bit more than essays..

and tim..thatz the thing... i dont mind either sectors, public or private..i lyk banks and big corporations but at the same time..i dont mind a job in liberal education..... i lyk coffee, breakfast on the run and pinstrip suits.. :p hahah

timmii

sporadic attendee
TIB: Do economics and social sciences. Its commercey with arts subjects. e.g economics, political economy, government etc, without having to do accounting and information systems.

It's not 80-90% arts at usyd btw. It felt like that initially, but i think its a much more even split now.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
umm..sounds intersting ref: comm + soci sci /law.. so baicalli a combined law/com is sorta lyk law/eco +social sci without the arts stuff, and it has more accounting?......

if so....is eco + social sci betta at syd or unsw? my guess is unsw....it seems syd is onli realli excellent at arts/law...hahaha

timmii

sporadic attendee
unsw doesnt offer it. a lot of my friends do it and really like it.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Ummm i know *a* grace, i dont know if its *your* grace ;) What school do u go to?

Sorry asq...I'll stop. For the sake of the survival of the uni crush thread ;)

Or do architecture/law, apparently unsw offers it :p

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
wow.archictecture ..soudn sinterestin.. i have always lyked archietecutre.. is it relaly really maths focused?

umm..grace..short hair...she has a lil bit of a britsh accent when she gives formal presentations.. sorta around 160ish i think.. asian..wears glasses.. v academic.. used to go to strathfield girls

Originally posted by Da Monstar
bleh! forget the confusion. just do sci/law like laz :)
i dont lyk science much.. i havent done any science since.....ageeeesss..........i still remember i wrote magnets with the same force attract in my yr 9 exam.. hahaha needless to say that exam was fairly shocking..but thenn agian..i never studied much.. excpt for last hr crammin. hahah

Last edited:

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
wow.archictecture ..soudn sinterestin.. i have always lyked archietecutre.. is it relaly really maths focused?
mai friend does arch, he says it isnt really math focused, atleast not in first yr. lot of emphasis on design, creativity, inoovation etc ...

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
well i luv design...and all dat..i luv houses..came first in art in yr 9 and 10...i do oil painting outside of skool..used to do life sketch.....i used to take photogrpahy classes as well...so yeha i am realli creative.. but just not sure abt careeer prospects....

but right now...my main delimma is if i get into syd...should i do arts/law instead of com/law? i eman i lyk them both... preferabli commerce/law..but syd is not that great iwht da commerce side

pri

HSC
N/A
um I reackon the UAI is more of a worry (its going up up and away), get the mark then debate

timmii

sporadic attendee
Hehe asq....was that a pointed reference at me?

I dont necessarily argue *either* is better, but i was inundated with raised eyebrows and curious glances when i declared i wanted to go to usyd comm/law and i dont think they were justified.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If Sydney Uni is cutting places, I wouldn't be surprised if USyd's commerce cutoff becomes higher than UNSW

squallja

actually.....

the best thing to do would be commerce(liberal studies)/law at usyd.

you dun haf to do boring, crappy compulsory subjects like accounting, and you can major and do electives/minors from basically any faculty ya want

should seriously fink bout doin that degree

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)