Devaluement of the arts (1 Viewer)

Millieetudiant

HSC
Hi everyone.

I'm new to Bored Of Studies. Just wanted to start a discussion thread regarding the devaluement of Arts.

Not only do Arts subjects not score highly in ATARs (from what I've heard); but they're also looked down upon by society - particularly in the academic worlds.

The only real "ARTS" subject I'm taking into HSC next year is Drama, and potentially English Extensions 1 & 2. But I would have loved to have kept Art & Music (I dropped them to lessen my major work burden).

Yeah. Comments on the topic?

Cheers guys.

Kittikhun

HSC
I think an education in the arts makes your life much more richer, but if I had to choose between science and arts for lowering funds, it would always be arts.

sinawi

HSC
The Arts are wonderfully enriching - but not totally wonderful scalers.

My only comment (other than my admiration at your guts to drop Art and Music) is that Extension 1 and Adv English scale magnificently if you do well in them. If you have an interest in the course, pick it up for certain. Extension 2 entails a massive work load. It would not be advised if you think you could not put enough time and effort into it! If you have time management go for it.

Personal opinion :p

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone.

I'm new to Bored Of Studies. Just wanted to start a discussion thread regarding the devaluement of Arts.

Not only do Arts subjects not score highly in ATARs (from what I've heard); but they're also looked down upon by society - particularly in the academic worlds.

The only real "ARTS" subject I'm taking into HSC next year is Drama, and potentially English Extensions 1 & 2. But I would have loved to have kept Art & Music (I dropped them to lessen my major work burden).

Yeah. Comments on the topic?

Cheers guys.
I don't really see EX1/EX2 as arts subjects persay, though EE2 can be creative if you choose it to be. I never liked to do arts subjects at school, but I did do to varying degrees dance, drama and music outside of school and found it very enriching, particularly dance was my primary one.

sinawi

HSC
That is such a wonderful link. I love Sir Robinson!

darkfenrir

HSC
Um, not to piss anyone off or anything, but the arts in general aren't really anything more than a hobby/recreation/area of interest. In life, the arts serve to occupy ones time and/or provide emotional and psychological pleasure and satisfaction, but they really can't be considered as something that is "critical to human development", unless you want to talk about expanding ones mind and being creative, but Maths can do all of that and more.
Humans rely on technology in life, they seek to make their living easier and more pleasurable than it already is. this frame of mind will continue indefinitely as long as there is a human alive on this planet, its an intrinsic property of our minds, the desire to make the environment to adapt to US, and what we want.
When I say 'more pleasurable" you may say arts provide that and I couldnt agree more, i myself play multiple instruments and went to an acting colllege for a few years. But the point I am making is that in society, what truly matters is the quest for changing the world to suit our needs, which is done via science and mathematics, the tools to create brilliance. Arts are there to help make things fun and less boring, as well as helping with certain areas of brain development, but it simply cannot be placed on the same pedestal as science and maths. Feel free to argue against me.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Um, not to piss anyone off or anything, but the arts in general aren't really anything more than a hobby/recreation/area of interest. In life, the arts serve to occupy ones time and/or provide emotional and psychological pleasure and satisfaction, but they really can't be considered as something that is "critical to human development", unless you want to talk about expanding ones mind and being creative, but Maths can do all of that and more.
Humans rely on technology in life, they seek to make their living easier and more pleasurable than it already is. this frame of mind will continue indefinitely as long as there is a human alive on this planet, its an intrinsic property of our minds, the desire to make the environment to adapt to US, and what we want.
When I say 'more pleasurable" you may say arts provide that and I couldnt agree more, i myself play multiple instruments and went to an acting colllege for a few years. But the point I am making is that in society, what truly matters is the quest for changing the world to suit our needs, which is done via science and mathematics, the tools to create brilliance. Arts are there to help make things fun and less boring, as well as helping with certain areas of brain development, but it simply cannot be placed on the same pedestal as science and maths. Feel free to argue against me.
Oh vey-I think the humanities/arts are equally important. I'd think arts/humanities have been pretty critical to human development. And maths is not the same type of creativity per say, it's very different to the arts/

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
So doesn't it follow that the best people to provide that entertainment, pleasure, and creativity are those who are trained in that field.

The arts may be less essential to the bare necessities of life, but then so are a lot of things. The point is that we've moved beyond a system of bare function and created one of luxury. To say that training in the arts is unnecessary is to completely remove the system around it, which is illogical.

madharris

HSC
N/A
The only reason that the 'art' subjects are scaled down in terms of atar is because they are easy
E.g. I finished my 3 compositions for music 2 and ext in the december holidays and managed to get 49/50 for ext (not sure about my music 2 composition). Furthermore, throughout the whole year, I did minimal work in class, did no homework, didn't study for my half yearlies and trials until the night before and spent 2 days studying before my music 2 hsc exam. The only real work I did was for my 3 performances for music 2, and that was only 1-3 hours a week. I ended up getting 97 for music 2.

Compare this with chemistry and biology in which I devoted my time to almost every night and just scrapped into a band 6 range, and you can see how ridiculously easy music is.

However, regarding arts in society, you are right. The arts aren't valued enough as they are not usually considered professions but hobbies, even though they might spend just as much time working as an IT consultant or possibly more. This is also why people get the idea that you have to move overseas to make it big as an actor or musician as everyone in australia has this mindset.

Wow that probably doesn't even make sense but what ever :) ^^

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The only reason that the 'art' subjects are scaled down in terms of atar is because they are easy
E.g. I finished my 3 compositions for music 2 and ext in the december holidays and managed to get 49/50 for ext (not sure about my music 2 composition). Furthermore, throughout the whole year, I did minimal work in class, did no homework, didn't study for my half yearlies and trials until the night before and spent 2 days studying before my music 2 hsc exam. The only real work I did was for my 3 performances for music 2, and that was only 1-3 hours a week. I ended up getting 97 for music 2.

Compare this with chemistry and biology in which I devoted my time to almost every night and just scrapped into a band 6 range, and you can see how ridiculously easy music is.

However, regarding arts in society, you are right. The arts aren't valued enough as they are not usually considered professions but hobbies, even though they might spend just as much time working as an IT consultant or possibly more. This is also why people get the idea that you have to move overseas to make it big as an actor or musician as everyone in australia has this mindset.

Wow that probably doesn't even make sense but what ever :) ^^
That's more to do with the fact that there's not enough jobs here. The industry simply isn't supported enough as it is in Europe or the USA. It's a practicality, more than a mindset, issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)