dent adeliade (1 Viewer)

hello:)

HSC
hey,

1) does anyone know how many people apply for BDS at adel and how many places their are, ie whats the chance of getting in?

2) despite the 90 cutoff, what is the mean UAI, and is a person who gets 99 prefered over a UAI of 90, or once the cutoff is met anything will do?

3) what kind of things to they ask at the interview?
are there any tricks?
what do they want you to do in the manual dexirty test-carve wax?

4) whats the advantage of prob based learning?

cheers

Spon888

HSC
Hey, I'm guessing you're applying for this course too, I have too.

From what I have gathered, there are 58CSP places expected to be offered in 2007. And judging by the ratio of people to places in medicine, I would assume it would be a similar ratio, something along the lines of 'very competitive' if that helps.

And from what I read in the Info Booklet, Adelaide seems to prioritise UMAT and Interview scores much further ahead than UAI/TER/ENTER etc. But assuming again that because this course is competitive, usually people who are expected to get high scores will apply, and they will obviously get picked ahead of those with lower scores, assuming that UMAT and interview scores are somewhat similar. I've heard that at UNSW med, its so competitive that they have to use the UAI as the discriminator, and thus usually people with very high UAI's get in. However they do like to choose people with much lower scores, so that they can claim its all fair and all.

But if anyone already doing dent can answer the same ques, about what UAI/TER/ENTER scores dent students got, that would be much appreciated.

HSC
yeah im applying to adeliade as well as pretty much everywhere else! where have u applied, besides adel and griffith?

just as i was expecting..heaps of competition, but i was hoping it would be less compeditive then med, but obviously not, especially seeing as a lot of med rejects apply for dent too.

also, just to reiterate what spon888 said...could anyone studing dent (or even med) at adel tell us what uai's, umat scores etc ppl seem to be getting in this course.

thanks

ice ken

HSC
hello:) said:
hey,

1) does anyone know how many people apply for BDS at adel and how many places their are, ie whats the chance of getting in?

2) despite the 90 cutoff, what is the mean UAI, and is a person who gets 99 prefered over a UAI of 90, or once the cutoff is met anything will do?

3) what kind of things to they ask at the interview?
are there any tricks?
what do they want you to do in the manual dexirty test-carve wax?

4) whats the advantage of prob based learning?

cheers
with q 2 i believe that a person who gets 99 would of course be prefered to that of 90 provided that there is only 1 space left and uai of 99 was the highest out of the rest.

i believe it is realli gay... umat thing decides wether u get into dent or med. even though ure smart u cant get in if u dunt pass umat.

ill tell ya bout interview if u pass umat :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
the rule is
suppose to be the highest ranked on the interview list.. not TER

but the faculty does not disclose this information whether TERs are used tho...except in medicine where 99+ may get u a 2nd round interview with lower UMATs and a chance at entering the interview list

so long answer short: interview ranks... so UMAT and UAI "first past the post"

Last edited:

Spon888

HSC
yeah im applying to adeliade as well as pretty much everywhere else! where have u applied, besides adel and griffith?
Ye I applied everywhere. My reasoning was pretty much if you're going to move interstate, you can't really be picky. Except UniMelb though, Chemistry is a prerequisite. I did that in Year11 and everyone bagged me for dropping it even though I was coming first. But I still don't regret it, I'm pretty sure if I did it the HSC would kill me. I'm now looking at how to go about applying for UniOtago because its probably closer than UWA. Did you apply there?

And just to make sure, these are the dent schools in Aus for undergrads
- Uni Adelaide
- Uni WA
- UQueensland
- Griffith
- Uni Melb

But its surprising to see the different entrance requirements, because UQ doesn't seem to have an interview, and because they only accept scores above 99, that seems to be the primary factor, UMAT is the secondary discriminant.

HSC
yep i will apply at otago too..but that is the very last option because once ur in health sci, youve gotta do a whole year of it before even getting into the course u want to, which isnt even certain!

seeing as you'll now have a minor in chem, will you still beable to get into WA, and QLD? i thought you need a major in chem to get in those. i havent done chem so im not eligable for those unis that require it.

does anyone know if med rejects who get an interview for dent will be favoured less then those who put dent as their 1st preference?

turtleface

HSC
lol I thought this thread was about someone wanting to damage Adelaide.

Spon888

HSC
yep i will apply at otago too..but that is the very last option because once ur in health sci, youve gotta do a whole year of it before even getting into the course u want to, which isnt even certain!
Yea I agree on the Otago thing - last pref

HSC
hey does anyone know what the UMAT cutoff for an interview for dent at adel is? has anyone recieved an interview offer yet? do u know if the facuilty invites people for interviews if they are only like 2 or 3 points below the cutoff??

Spon888

HSC
phew I got an interview offer. I thought it would be uber-competitive. I don't know anyone else with dent offers, but if this helps, the lowest score I know is a guy that got an offer for med with a UMAT score of 171 (but i only know 3). But thats a very decent score as is.

From my speculation, there are 58places on offer, and interviews go for three days. I'm assuming they would've offered at least 2-3 times the number of places available, so anywhere from 116-170 places, maybe a nice number of 150. Having said that, they probably would've arranged everyone with dent as first preference in order of UMAT scores, and then just decided to offer an interview to the top 150?ish people, so there isn't really a definite UMAT cutoff as such.

If you haven't received an offer, possibly a phone call to the University might be useful, because you could get all your questions answered directly. Also if its anything like the UNSW offer system, theres a very small chance that they might be sending offers next week too (especially if people who get offered decline the offer).

Otherwise you may find this useful posting a new thread in the General Forum, I don't think too many people come here.

Also, whats your UAI prediction going to be like? Is it high enough to balance out your UMAT score? ps check your pm inbox

Last edited:

Spon888

HSC
ice ken said:
ill tell ya bout interview if u pass umat :)
Sorry for a double post, but I've decided to take you up on this deal ;)

So whats the interview like? i.e. How long, is it just an interview or does it also include a 'manual dexterity test'??? And I've heard there are a few scenario based/hypothetical questions for med, is this the same for dent?

rashaldo

HSC
N/A
hi

can i also know about the adelaide dentistry interview ???

Spon888, what was ur scaled score for UMAT ???

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hi guys..
i did the dent interview..

and it was the basic..
-Why dent?
-what are your strength and weaknesses?why?
-scenerio.. about dental work and how you would cope?

then other questions that i cant remember after 3 yrs :$

its a very standard medical/dental interview.. which are very similar in adelaide..

some more information at MSO forums (medstudentsonline.com) cos they are ppl that sat the interviews.. and a few dent students from around Aust and graduated dentist there.. more national than NSW/Vic tho....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)