Data Redundancy + Mobile tech (1 Viewer)

yc

I was going over the HSC 2002 paper + examiner comments, two things stumped me.

1. Someone explain data redundancy, I know it is the repetition of data, get rid of it using normalisation but I just need an example of what repetition is redundant and what repetition is not redundant, can't find a clear answer in the Jacaranda or the Heinemann.

2. What are the advantages of mobile technology (laptop primary)? I had no idea how to answer this.

Exam tommorow, I can see these questions coming up in slightly altered forms, man there is too much totaly crap to remember in IPT, half of DSS is trash :mad1:

Huy

HSC
N/A
1. You might have fields with the same data scattered across multiple tables, why not normalise the data into one table and share the same (common) data between however many tables as necessary.

If you've got duplicate data items, that would be redundant.
If you have 'different' data items (fields containing different characters) then it would not be redundant, as the data has been normalised and ordered in such a way as to minimise such repetitions.

e.g. in a supermarket TPS, you wont have a thousand items, each stocking the same barcode, indicative of the same product.

you'll have one product, with one barcode, and everytime that barcode is scanned, it'll retrieve data from one database, from the one table.

having tables all over the place, with the same data (occurring in more locations than one) would be redundant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
where does your second question fit into the syllabus? i've never seen it before. i can answer it, but i'd like to know which topic, because it's not in the core, that's a definite.

further, i don't do DSS, only TPS and Communication Systems (+3 core).

if you've read jacaranda and heinemann (front to back), you should be set. (flick through excel and do a few questions to test yourself if it's available to you). :)

yc

1. I sort of understand what you mean for data redundancy but take a look at Q21 b) here:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2002exams/pdf_doc/info_process_tech_02.pdf

Wouldn't that mean that each computer would be equal to stay one product in a supermarket, then none of the data there would redundant?

I can understand normalising that table into two tables so that the computer info is seperate to its location etc, but where was the redundancy?

2. Q22 b) same paper. I do not see the words the advantages of mobile tech anywhere in the syllabus either, perhaps a mistake made my the goold old board.

I'll do fine in the exam, I'am just totaly bummed out from all the other exams (IPT last), IPT also is just about my biggest alongside SDD but at least alot of that is logic in algo's and such, less memorisation and less care for answers that don't explain things so indepth you could rewrite your own flipping text book. Just plain old tired :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by yc
Wouldn't that mean that each computer would be equal to stay one product in a supermarket, then none of the data there would redundant?
I don't understand your question :confused:

Originally posted by yc
I can understand normalising that table into two tables so that the computer info is seperate to its location etc, but where was the redundancy?
The redundancy lies in the fact that you had the same barcode, entered a gazillion times into one (or more) tables. The data had been superfluous, unwanted, unneeded, unnecessary. You are getting confused with your "computer info is seprate from its location". I am talking about having the central database, containing redundant data by having the same, existing data duplicated time and time again over the same fields, in the database itself (could be flat database, could be a relational database).

I am looking at Q21(b), 2002 IPT HSC.
Identify data redundancy in Mr Ferranos database and outline the problems it may cause as the database increases in size..

Data redundancy via:
* Computer ram in duplicate cells
First example, "64" in computer RAM, copied over twice.
Second example, "8" under computer hard disk, copied twice.

Obvious data redundancy:
Location, "Manager's Office" and "Reception" are entered twice in each case, when only one was required in each location, either "Reception" or "Manager's Office", not twice over, and twice again (for each location).

Phone extension duplicates,
You will see "3227" and "1859" occurring twice, when this is not necessary with normalisation and creating a relational database (introducing foreign keys).

Lastly, "Room Number"
ie "9023" is repeated twice, "9115" is also repeated twice.

The question asks you to identify,
That'd be worth about 1 or even 2 marks tops.
I've done that, identifying the redundant data.

Second part of the question,
outline the problems it may cause as the database increases in size.
You could talk about loading times, processing times, search times, indexing times, backup times, backup schedules, delays in processing, sorting, searching, saving data, editing data, deleting records, blah blah.

Whatever you do to it, whether it be:
adding, deleting, editing, sorting, searching, processing, opening, sending, saving, whatever! it will be exponentially increasing as you shove more and more redundant data into the existing database.

You have "005" computers now, but what if this happened in a company with five hundred thousand computers? (500,000). Think about the data redundancy there. In the question, we have seen a fair few fields which contain redundant data, now think about this: our data has been duplicated twice, for five computers. How many fields would be duplicated (ie making data redundant/useless) if we had 500,000 computers, instead of 5? :)

That will get you the 3 marks.

Onto your second question, Q22(b)

Outline the advantages for Jill of using mobile technology to undertake her work.
Here, you would talk about your communication systems and transmission medium.

The question gives you a diagram, use it.
Answer all of part (a), then move onto (b) - the question, in question ;)

Now, using mobile technology such as:
* mobile phones
* satellite
* wireless transmission
* microwave
* wireless LAN

The question is not asking "why is she using a laptop, instead of a desktop computer", it is asking (let me say it again): "Outline the advantages for Jill of using mobile technology to undertake her work."

Therefore, you would need to talk about the aforementioned mode of transmission.
The advantages? let's run through them now.

* moves data through air and space, doesn't require cabling
* does not need a fixed location
* signals can be bounced through space, off towers, receivers, ground stations, etc
* covers long distances
* faster than telephone lines and coaxial cables (compare the wireless transmission medium that Jill uses with physical wired transmission)
* error free transmission
* can send large amounts of data over long distances
* portable
* Jill doesnt have to stay put, in one fixed location

now, that will probably get you 2 marks out of the 3.
2 marks for identifying a few advantages (see above dot points)

and for the bonus (third) mark, you must relate the advantages (aforementioned) to the scenario in question.
So, for the final 1 mark, you might like to say things like:

* since Jill is a sales representative, selling wine throughout the state, she needs to be mobile all the time and cannot afford to stay in the one location (half a mark here)
* jill logs onto her work network daily to send and receive data, this requires her to download and transfer at much faster speeds than ordinary phone lines will offer
* as she visits customers, she can transmit data at reasonably error free rates through air and space, therefore she doesn't require the physical fixed location of a phone line or coaxial connection
* as she travels across the state and visits customers, she can cover long distances whilst still knowing that she can transmit and receive data from her workplace via high transmission mediums such as satellite and microwave (in comparison to copper telephone lines)
* microwave transmission is faster, mobile phones are faster than 'dialling' into her workplace using a normal telephone and having to transfer/connect calls, talk to secrateries, go through people, etc.
* the portability of mobile computing and the use of mobile technology allows jill to work wherever she pleases, visiting customers from one suburb to another, while maintaining strong links with her workplace daily through the transmission/reception of data via microwave and satellite (wireless) transmission media.
* large amounts of data can be sent (this is the biggie) in comparison to existing telephone lines/networks

hope that answers your question yc. :)

ps, about your textbook re-writing... i can do that :p :rolleyes:

i need to do some real work now, lol...

yc

So your who I'm trying to beat huh, no thanks :D

IPT King! pretty darn impressive.

My questions are answered, thanks alot, I was in world of confusion.

That Q22 I would of wasted, I knew all about the mediums and their adv/dis, lousy interpertation :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by yc
So your who I'm trying to beat huh, no thanks :D
IPT King! pretty darn impressive.
My questions are answered, thanks alot
LOL!
I didn't know people were that competitive in IPT :D
You only have to compete against yourself to reach your own potential, realising your own capabilities and knowing where to draw the line for yourself, not by comparing yourself (I'm not saying you did/are), but if you've beaten everybody in the world, pretty soon you'll want to outdo and challenge yourself, extending yourself.

Thank you for your kind words, and you're very welcome with the help :)

yc

Ug!

Data redudancy was a single multiple choice Q :D a very basic one. Communications systems barely had anything on wireless.

It was a pretty simple test, but naturally with IPT, simple means you've missed something :D I answered everything and wrote more than I ever want to again, my hand was destroyed.

Screwed up multimedia, mainly due to time, about 3mins left half-way through a 10 screen storyboard, two pretty simple 4mark questions wasted, compare/constrast printed vs multimedia versions, and the people who work on MM's + what they do. Hehehe some people answered ALL 4 option topics, I seriously question how people make this mistake, we got warned and retold just about every lesson what to do and still people do all 4, I guess it's nerves or something. Happened in SDD aswell.

End of the day, I'am happy. With IPT though, I'll never know till I get my paper back, IPT is like an unstructured situation.........heh nothing like an IPT joke :D ah my head hurts :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tigerboi
HUY needs a life!
I do have a life, and it didn't take me very long to answer his question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)