CSU accomodation at Bathurst (1 Viewer)

Automatic

HSC
I'm currently in year 12, i live 3 hours away from Bathurst and am pretty sure at this point that i want to go to CSU in 2016 to do nursing/paramedics. but i have a few questions about the accommodation.

1. What is each residence like? And which is the cheapest?
2. Is there any accommodation that has more first years in than others?
3. Do many people living in self catered places get meal plans?
4. Is it easy/possible to get a part time job? If you are on package 1?

And anything else anyone can tell me would be awesome

Thanks
:spin::spin::spin::spin:

Ethicks

HSC
Being a regional area jobs aren't easy to come by, although Bathurst is growing rapidly when you see how far they have expanded the housing estates just in the past few years. I would personally avoid the whole university accommodation all together unless you want to try it out to establish some friends then go and rent a house somewhere else. Renting houses is cheap there especially when compared to Sydney you could probably rent a 3 bedroom house with a few friends for $150 per week or less. Having a car is essential you can't get around with public transport you can drive everywhere very easily.

Back to the part-time job situation you could work somewhere if you're willing to give fast-food/retail a chance.. that's about all you will find. *No idea what you mean by 'package' if this is referring to Centrelink then yes you can work just notify them what you earn.

Don't go with catered meals, I assume it would resemble hospital food.. just buy your own food and feed yourself. Also don't get caught up with costs if you're from the Sydney area you will find living there so much cheaper.. I moved to Sydney for uni and prices are so ridiculous. I say to avoid the whole on-campus as i've driven past some of the 'resident' housing and I can tell you it's not something I would like to live in plus you will find those people love to have parties, sex, violence the whole works. (maybe not the violence part)

In summary it's a great little town, I love it there.. I miss spending summer there in the park(s) and shopping centers. I would say a car is essential then you have the freedom to go and do what you want groceries, shopping, movies etc..

crazydanny

HSC
Hey I'm currently a first year, there's a few things that should probably be added.

1. What is each residence like? And which is the cheapest?
There is already a thread on what each res is like and it's pretty accurate.
Cost: While some of the accommodation is a lot more expensive (e.g. someone said their fortnightly rent was $500+ in the new built macquarie village, while someone in towers said theirs was around $300) your youth allowance covers you for a lot of it. I know when I first applied I accidentally added it up wrong and told them I paid less rent than what i really did, so when I updated it to the higher amount the allowance payment went up to help cover more of it. And considering you have to move to attend the course (that's if you don't live within 90mins travel time of a similar course like the one offered at UWS) then they will cover you for it, plus you get $4000 relocation grant at the start of the year then $1000 mid year from centrelink because you had to relocate to do the course.

2. Is there any accommodation that has more first years in than others?
Unfortunately not but that seriously does not matter one single bit. The selection is always mixed but you will always be with other first years. Though having second and third years around does help because they can give you all the inside knowhow. And the paramedic course is the largest cohort followed by policing students so there's a good chance you will have other first years doing the same course with you.

3. Do many people living in self catered places get meal plans?
Not sure sorry. But the food is pretty decent.

4. Is it easy/possible to get a part time job? If you are on package 1?
Getting the job is hard if you're not fast. Most people have a blast at O week (best week of your life), and forget to look for jobs, so get out there quick while you have the O week spare time and apply for the jobs the last 3rd years left behind and before all the 2nd and 3rd years come back the following week. But yeah package 1 makes it hard.

And btw the catered food isn't that bad. They're not gourmet, but they're good enough, better than hospital food.

On a final note, living on campus is a lot better than you probably think. So many people I know get campus sick (like home sick) when they have to go home for the holidays because they miss their dorm family. What some of people do is live on campus for first and second year then live off for the third once they're over it and have their solid group of friends. I have friends that went straight to off campus and regret it so much, the person above makes it sound tacky and like its a nuisance but its honestly as lively or quiet as you make it. You have a lock on your door for a reason and it makes studying easy when you need it.

Automatic

HSC
thanks for your replies!!
Just thought the other forum might be a bit old, but if you say its accurate, ill go off that :)
sounds like lots of payment benefits i was unaware of, thanks!
I think ill be living on campus :D

rokinuplate

HSC
Also, is there particular accomodation where you can only get package 1 or 2?
Yes man. I suggest hitting up towers for on-campus living. Come join us for some rad parties and all round fun!
Noticed you posted this at the start of the year. What res did you end up living on?

stay rounded, :biggrin:

Automatic

HSC
Yes man. I suggest hitting up towers for on-campus living. Come join us for some rad parties and all round fun!
Noticed you posted this at the start of the year. What res did you end up living on?

stay rounded, :biggrin:
Posted in the middle of the year :p im comin in 2016, havent been accepted yet but its looking like towers will be my first preference :D

Brooke1011

HSC
What tower is funner and better to live at Heath or cottrell?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)