Crime fiction authors who both use and subvert conventions? (1 Viewer)

FDownes

HSC
Our extension english class has been given an oral assesment task which requires us to discuss two crime fiction pieces (one perscribed and one additional) that both perpetuate and subvert the generic conventions of crime fiction. Obviously, the best (and easiest) choice from the perscribed material will be Tom Stoppard's 'The Real Inspector Hound', but I'm not sure what to use as my piece of additional material.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any authors who might be an effective choice to use for this task. I imagine there may be quite a few crime fiction parodies which fit the bill. If you want to be more specific, you could suggest particular novels or texts which might be helpful.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
stephanie plum series by janet envanovitch or how ever you spell her name

the big sleep

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Check out Michael Connelly's "The Narrows"

lacklustre

HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't most contemporary stuff subversion some way or another?

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
FDownes said:
Our extension english class has been given an oral assesment task which requires us to discuss two crime fiction pieces (one perscribed and one additional) that both perpetuate and subvert the generic conventions of crime fiction. Obviously, the best (and easiest) choice from the perscribed material will be Tom Stoppard's 'The Real Inspector Hound', but I'm not sure what to use as my piece of additional material.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any authors who might be an effective choice to use for this task. I imagine there may be quite a few crime fiction parodies which fit the bill. If you want to be more specific, you could suggest particular novels or texts which might be helpful.

Thanks in advance. :)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - film

I would have thought Skull Beneath The Skin was the better set text for this? It has more even distribution of perpetuation/subversion (and you get to argue about whether order is restored in the end as the crime has been uncovered but no justice done), where Stoppard uses mostly subversion.

amybaker1990

HSC
anils ghost...

crimes by the government goes against
ss van dines rules / guidelines right??

nrs1990

HSC
Most crime fiction both uses and subverts conventions. I mean, most texts don't use all the conventions of the genre (and of the subgenre they belong to). They use them differently, and to different extents. For example, 'The Big Sleep' doesn't solve all the murders (the chauffers gets forgotten), and in 'Skull Beneath the Skin', it seems likely that the criminal will escape unpunished. So, pretty much any crime text could work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)