Context Question Help (1 Viewer)

Adin

Hi

I need some ideas as to how I would respond to this question:

"Your social context defines the reading of any text available to you. Examine this idea with reference to and expository text that you have read."

I have read both "Stupid White Men" and "Dude Where's My Country" by Michael Moore.

No idea on how to structure the essay.

Help appreciated.

Cheers

Mendo

HSC
Hey.
I havent read either of those texts, I know what they're on about though I've seen his doccos- I find it all very interesting; cool texts.

Well I guess you'd have to start with a brief and precise intro about contexts and perpsectives, general observations as to how they change. Kind of write a mission statement.
Then you might go on to talk about the contexts of each fo the texts- 21st century, capitalist, consumerist etc. You'd need quotes. "Stupid White Men" gives it away a bit. White, western society and its values.
Talk about where these texts would be available- their respective audiences, themes, ideas, how people with differnet values would relate to them, and how they're own values would influence what they take from the texts.
Feminist, Maxist, Political, Psychoanalytical perspectives come in somewhere. Each would take different values from the texts however most likely there would be one constant and universal value within each.

I know its not much of a structure really, but I hope this helped in some way at all. Its great that you've got interesting texts to work with, makes it a little easier in some ways. Good luck!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
to add 2 above suggestions (which i am totally and completely in awe of :D):
look at modern context of Moore and the readings he places on events in his docos; also look at the context of individuals within the docos, how ppl responded to them at the time etc. also possibly look at different readings of his docos depending on what modern country and culture you come from.
good luck! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)