Confused about activity series + standard potentials (galvanic cell)? (1 Viewer)

fatassmcfat

HSC
OK I dunno if I am answering galvanic cell questions correctly

When I'm figuring out which thingo gets oxidise (anode) and reduced (cathode) I use the standard potential thing and see which one has the more negative number and I assume that is the anode (since its more negative- so it loses electrons to become more balanced'?). And I assumed activity series is the same as standard potential in order; but then I SAW MY BOK AND REALISE THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS

SO in order to do a galvanic cell q's do I first have to look at activity series (to find the more reactive metal AKA the one that displaces the other metal AKA the anode (I THINK? or is it the cathode?)- and from thereafter look at the standard potentials to determine the overall voltage blah blah etc.?

PLEASE HELP ME I KEEP ON SOMETIMES GETTING QUESTIONS RIGHT and sometimes wrong
Also it would be nice if you gave an example
Also is activity series given in exams?

QZP

HSC
Yeah I also would like someone to provide clarity on this one. I've only had to use the standard reduction potentials for electrochemistry... Is there a significance to the activity series of metals? (they are not in same order as on the reduction potentials).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)