Conceptual Exercises for Physics? (1 Viewer)

ms_grape_taco

HSC
Hi everyone,

I asked my teacher on how should I study in these holidays for physics and she said "do some conceptual exercises that will broaden your idea on the topics we have covered from Module 5 and Module 6."

The problems are:
- I have no idea what she means and what she was asking
- How to do this?
- How to study in the holidays for physics? (I go to tutoring so I have covered the content for module 5 and 6 and 7 but I have no idea how to revise the since all my notes are made)

HELP!

wizzkids

HSC
Since you are revising for Modules 5 and 6, I will give you a few examples from these modules that will broaden your conceptual thinking, as your teacher suggests.
Conceptual exercises start with an inquiry question, something like "If the Earth and the Moon both exert a gravitational force on a rocket that is going from the Earth to the Moon, would there be some point between the Earth and the Moon where the gravitational field strength falls to zero? Where would that point be?"
Another example, "If Ampere's Law predicts the force between two current-carrying conductors, then what happens if I introduce a third conductor somewhere between the first two?"
"The James Webb Space telescope is orbiting the Sun at a larger radius than the Earth, and yet it has the same orbital period as the Earth. At first glance this appears to violate Kepler's Third Law of orbital periods. Why is it true?"

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
Imo if you’ve covered 3 modules you should just focus on past hsc questions, i have no idea what ur teacher means but tbh I find that past hsc/trial questions are by far the most helpful revision method for me and my friends

ms_grape_taco

HSC
Since you are revising for Modules 5 and 6, I will give you a few examples from these modules that will broaden your conceptual thinking, as your teacher suggests.
Conceptual exercises start with an inquiry question, something like "If the Earth and the Moon both exert a gravitational force on a rocket that is going from the Earth to the Moon, would there be some point between the Earth and the Moon where the gravitational field strength falls to zero? Where would that point be?"
Another example, "If Ampere's Law predicts the force between two current-carrying conductors, then what happens if I introduce a third conductor somewhere between the first two?"
"The James Webb Space telescope is orbiting the Sun at a larger radius than the Earth, and yet it has the same orbital period as the Earth. At first glance this appears to violate Kepler's Third Law of orbital periods. Why is it true?"
Thanks so much! I finally understand what my teacher meant when you presented me with these questions. Do you know any places where I can get more of these types of questions that force you to think big?

ms_grape_taco

HSC
Imo if you’ve covered 3 modules you should just focus on past hsc questions, i have no idea what ur teacher means but tbh I find that past hsc/trial questions are by far the most helpful revision method for me and my friends
Yeah I've heard that's by far the most useful thing you can do. A few questions tho -
1. Where would you recommend getting such type of questions?
2. Wouldn't it be more beneficial if I do these types of questions leading up to my exam OR if i do most of the questions now, what will I be doing before my exams?
3. What do to if I run out of questions?

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah I've heard that's by far the most useful thing you can do. A few questions tho -
1. Where would you recommend getting such type of questions?
2. Wouldn't it be more beneficial if I do these types of questions leading up to my exam OR if i do most of the questions now, what will I be doing before my exams?
3. What do to if I run out of questions?
1. https://boredofstudies.org/threads/...sorted-by-topic-based-on-new-syllabus.388429/
Beyond that, go through newer exam questions by just going through hsc equations — usually it’s pretty easy to tell which ones are from modules you’ve done and which aren’t, if not refer to the mapping grid. In addition to that, there are plenty of trial papers on thsconline which you can also use with the same method. And if you’re really desperate, your school will probably have even more copyrighted trial papers from cssa etc
2. It’s better to do the same question twice than never end up doing it at all.
3. Id argue that once you’ve done all 23 new syllabus trial/hsc papers and all of the branded trial papers from your teachers, you’ll be plenty prepared and you could probably go back through them anyway because you won’t remember them by that point

Also: it’s important to not just do the questions, but thoroughly mark them and make sure that you would get full marks on a similar question if presented with it afterwards. Trust me, it makes a big difference and can lead to really fast improvement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)