Communications Courses (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
So, I've heard about how fantastic these communications courses are at UTS, but I have not yet met anyone who actually does one of them!!!! Is there anybody out there that does communications at UTS???? I would love to ask some questions and stuff!!!

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
um well i have 6 friends who do the comm courses, and i am interested in transferring to writing + contemp cultures next year .. what are your question ..?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, I'm just interested to know how people are enjoying the courses (esp journalism or writing and contemp culture), like if they are happy with the course, if it's interesting, etc. Just some general opinions about the courses would be great :)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
a friend of mine is doing writing and contemporary cultures this year. he likes it, especially the writing subjects (but he's a really writer-ish person: short stories and poems in his spare time, always carries a journal, that sort of thing). says there aren't many hours, and the workload is abit erratic, but yeah, he really enjoys it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks for that salad, what career prospects do graduates from the writing course have besides being writers? Could they write in magazines, or work in publishing perhaps? Could it also act as a path in to journalism?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Thanks for that salad, what career prospects do graduates from the writing course have besides being writers? Could they write in magazines, or work in publishing perhaps? Could it also act as a path in to journalism?
yes to all that u just mentioned

btw a few weeks ago i found this site about where UTS graduates go after they finish their course, which was interesting..

http://138.25.124.151/GDSV2/FMPro?-db=GDSV2&-lay=Web_Access&-format=search.htm&-view

for writing and contemporary cultures graduates :
BUSINESS SALES OFFICER
CARPENTER
CASUAL BOOKSELLER
GIFT CONSULTANT
JOURNALIST
MARKETING MANAGER
P A
PROJECT CO-ORDINATOR

a bit disheartening, isn't it ..

Leanne

HSC
i want to do that writing and contemporary cultures course...but i dunno how liekly it will be for me to get 94.5...or watever it is....no matter how hard i study! i hope i do well in 4 unit english!

elfgal

hey ash..
i do communications (public comm) at uts :p, but yeah am kinda thinking of transferring to writing myself coz pubcomm is full of professional research stuff and it's pretty non-creative atm..
absolutely everyone i know that does writing and cont cults ABSOLUTELY loves it...seriously never heard a complaint from anyone, guess it's coz if you're inclined towards writing it's natural that you'll enjoy doing it and get good marks for it..
many ppl i know doing journalism dont like it all that much - they say that the course is v cynical and instead of teaching u to break away from all the bs that goes on in the media they train you to perpetuate it. a bit like pubcomm i guess. i think they're more focused on teaching you to cope with the practical professional world rather than analyse it.
i'm not saying that journalism is a bad course. i do also kno quite a few pps that enjoy it, and most ppl say it's better 2nd semester (mostly only kno 1st yrs).
for the whole of 1st year, you only have one professional strand subject each semester (professional strand = like writing, journalism etc). all the other subjects are common to all communications students. so there's not much catch-up to do if you wanna change strand in 1st or 2nd yr. and it's really easy 2 change from one strand to another. if you're doing straight communicaitons there are only 12 hrs a week, everything's pass/fail in 1st yr and THERE ARE NO EXAMS!!! (ever!)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks for that info... what have you heard about the Media Arts and Production course? It seems interesting as well, and I have it on my preferences. Public Communication is the advertising/PR type one isn't it?

I figured it wouldn't be hard to change strands by looking at the degree structure. If you wanted to change your communication major after the first year would you have to spend an additional year at uni, or could you just catch up by taking on extra credits etc?

Also, you say there is 12 hours of classes a week for comm, how big is the workload outside of this? Do you get a lot of assignments etc? This won't deter me, I'm not afraid of hard work, I'm just curious :).

With Journo, do you think it would open up doors for other career paths in the media industry, or is it only specifically geared towards a career in journalism? Which of the UTS communications degrees do you think is the broadest in terms of employment prospects in the media industry?

Do you think that the UTS communications degrees are better/more interesting than the USyd BA (media and communications).... if you don't know don't worry about it lol.

Sorry for the 20 questions, it's just good to finally have the opportunity to ask a UTS communications student some questions!!! Thanks for the info!

elfgal

MAP ppl seem to like the course...from what ive heard it's pretty hands on lke u get to make films & stuff
compared to other courses (eg LAW, which i've just started this sem, and is absolute murder workload-wise), comm workload is really pretty light in 1st yr. there are 4 subjects and for the 3 common subs basically u have to do a major essay or project (due end of semester) (abot 1500-2500 words depending on subject) , possibly an essay plan for this sometime midsem, a (group) tutorial presentation and probably some other minor task (no more than 1000 words). for the prof strands workload varies but doesn't really get that heavy in 1st yr
it wouldn't take an extra yr to change..u could do the 1st yr subs as 2nd yr electives
journo course is probably geared towards journo career, but all comm courses open up avenues 4 jobs throughout media/comm industry. u just graduate with b communications anyway (journo/pubcomm etc is just like major)
usyd degree in 1st yr has more electives than uts comm courses (usyd = only one compulsory comm subject). uts degrees are more professionally streamlined and specific, usyd course gives you more of a taste of everything...

iH

Oldie
HSC
yeah thanks. I'm looking at the writing and contemporary cultures too (first preference). My UAI estimate was a few poinst below the cut-off for this year and they're supposed to go up so who knows.

Anyway, might see some of you there?

iH

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
anyone know what Social Inquiry is like??

especially when combined with law

Jinglebell

HSC
oh how i love the words "no exams":D

thank god it's not too hard to change strands...judging from this years cutoffs i'll be doing info management next year, and i was worried about if it would be hard to change over into whatever area i decide i actually want to do.

memoirs_of_fish

just wonderin....

i was wondering if anyone can tell me about public communications?
like what is it?

and more importantly how can i get into the course if i dutn get the UAI for it?

thnx much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)