Coleridge - main themes (1 Viewer)

Lorie

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble trying to list and understand the main thems in each of coleridges poems. I understand all the techiques used just not the themes they realte to. Please HELP!!!!

Lorie

HSC
Lime tree-bower most importantly, but stuff on Rime of the AM would be good aswell.

Lorie

HSC
lime tree bower most importantly, and also Rime of the AM if you wouldn't mind

Lorie

HSC
The pink monkey one doesn't work and spark notes doesn't have lime tree bower.............ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

HSC
Lorie said:
lime tree bower most importantly, and also Rime of the AM if you wouldn't mind
for lime tree (from excel study guide)
points to consider:
- city VS nature
- imagination releases us from the bonds of space and time
- appreciation of beauty and love
- the creator God
- celebration of the natural work and of friendship

Lorie

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
for lime tree (from excel study guide)
points to consider:
- city VS nature
- imagination releases us from the bonds of space and time
- appreciation of beauty and love
- the creator God
- celebration of the natural work and of friendship

thanks alot too lazy, is that from the latest excel guide?

tell me what u think of my notes, in relation to the themes and how they are shown:

Theme: Isloation/alone
how: symbolism of the bower as a prision
Coverstion poem - we feel Coleridge is speaking to us in a colloquial
and personal way
first person
Quotes: "they are gone, and here i must remain"
"when the last rook beat it's striaght path along the dusky air"

Theme: The importance of nature/ not taking it for granted. (pathism)
how: Blends smile and metaphor
Demostrative nouns
Quote: "slim trunk.....flings arching like a bridge

HSC
hmm..you need to go into more detail. (but im sure this is just a brief overview)
try to focus on the concepts and meaning more rather than the techniques (eg. not so much 'this line uses simile, that line shows metaphor'..etc etc).
you should only use them to back up your argument/thesis and shoudn't be there just for the sake of memorising them

for the isolation theme. try to incorporate this quote 'friends, whom i never more may meet again'

and for the nature theme. again, less techniques, delve into the hidden messages/meanings
oh and just to clear something up...it's patheism and not pathism (i hope that was a typo you made..:uhhuh: )

Last edited:

Lorie

HSC
cool thanks, yeah it was just a typo.
So it would be correct to say that u need to state a theme and show how it is shown. That is what i was trying to show u. for example, the theme isloation is shown by the use of 1st person, which allows the reader to experiance the journey through the eyes of the poet.

plz tell me if i'm on the right track

scruffy012

HSC
Lorie!!!!!!!

hey lorie this is the second time i have to type this up (it was origianlly massive 45mins worth of typing and a failed site load up killing it all)

with discissions with mr grant and mrs usser (for you other guys/girls we go to the same school), they suggest with Ancient mariner and Lime tree bower, that you dont go into great depth to get an answer in the essay, you rather have to discuss the aspects of coleridge and discuss how these aspects affect his writings. you have to know the context of coleridge and the reasons behind each poem. (if ya want an essay on context ill lend u my Extension History essay) and using the examplres asked of AM and LTB heres something

it is mainly because of coleridges cultural, and religious background that we get these poems, the catholic religion is realistically shown in almost ever stanza in some sense (and can get confusing in AM, ill tell later)

the whole thing in my teachers view (oh whom i swear who is romantist herself) thinks about the Panteism nature of each peom-(heh lorie) and how coleridge goes 'road-trippin' (sorry shitty pun im listening to RHCP :p) this to me is incorrect and if my views are said in essays where you are ment to show your views of the texts i get INCORRECT/MISINTERPRETATED and in discussion with other teachers i get an agreement on my views, how does that work?????? it makes me wonder.

before you read this is my opinion and the opinions of others of whom i have talked to about the subject. (hehe disclaimer)

in lame mans terms about LTB, Coleridge is writing about how he is pissed off that he cant walk with his friend William Wordsworth, because of a burn, this is blatently obvious " there they go, never to be seen again, this LIME-TREE BOWER MY PRISION!", but through the use of imagination he takes himself (and us) on a journey of which calms him down, "what a beautiful sight indeed", it is shown throughout the whole poem the idea of pantheism- god in nature- the fundamental ideal of the romantic movement, the poem as a whole is a suppressant in coleridges feelings, and an demonstratiion of the beauty of the romantic moivement

i wont cover the themes in this poem as ill be mainly repeating LaZy, but be wary of the blatent reminders of the romantic movement and makre sure you know the difference between the context of coleridge, and the ideals shown by romantisim

but here is the my one teacher disagrees with me the most, the good ol' Ancient Mariner. according to my teacher the purpose of thwe poem is a demonstration of what happens when you kill 'gods creatures' (and i go to a public school!!!)
but in a complete contrast of understanding and beliefs, i believe that the poem isn't postitive like my teacher thinks, but a total opitamy, the complete opposite, i believe that this poem is negitive, demonstrating the destructiveness of the human culture, (i had this written pretty well before :( ), the poem as a whole ios negitive, Life -In-Death, and Lady Death gambling for the lives iof the crew is a prefect example of this, the dominators determing the fate of the 'lesser' mortals, (fairly ironic to today really).

the main theme in this peom i believe is the negitivity of the human culture ands the destructiveness of the human ideal, NOT the consequences of shooting an albotross, or some slackass not navigating properly. but the main ideal that sets this poem down is the sudden need to include god into the poem, from what i believe it is a sudden reminder to coleridge himself that the dominators (i.e. church/god etc) must be followed, and hence the sudden religious theme that to me slows down the whole poem, from as a demonstration of the negitivity of human culture and the consequences, to respecting all gods creatures, to me why would coleridge set up a poem to demonstrate negitivity, to suddenly lose momentum, and add god to the scene, if he wanted to demonstreate the consequences of god, why didnt he start it positivily??????

another thing i think that the mariner is the representative (or 'host'/key character/muse) that coleriodge uses as a demonstration of these negitive feelings, otherwise why is the mariner stopping people and telling him of his curse, and the negitivity of the human psyche ( thats the word i needed!!)
he is only a muse who serves as a sole purpose to act as a warning as a prevention of destruction to humanity. as he is only telling the guest a story of his life, and this, with the aspects of Life-in-Death, the godly eel bit, and a few others. the poem as a whole is a warning to humanity, about self destruction, not 'to stop shooting pretty little birdies'

well thats my view, if anyone wishes to discuss this with me please posrt or PM me, and lorie mate hope it helped, as the ideals of our teacher are contradictory, to herself.

Scruffy. (P.S. K.K is still in the works, same with the 4th poem :)

cya

D.Larie

I have an important question about the themes and techniques...

HOW do you try to fit Techniques into your essay?
I mean, you're writing about how LTBMY has, as one of its themes, not taking anything for granted. He feels he is blinded and "never more may meet" his friends until he realizes that he can appreciate nature through his imagination.

All that said, how do you try to fit in something like "imagery is used when Coleridge describes the trees and 'arching like a bridge' and this helps the reader...blah blah blah".

I mean, you're talking about the themes so how do you just fit techniques into it?:(
I'm so dead...

Lorie

HSC
i just look at the themes and then find how the themes are expressed. Say i might look at isloation and then look at first person, imagery, sound patterns, alliteration and so forth.

Look at the themes, then use techiques to show how the themes are presented. I've found it works better then just listing techiques.

Also, remember to back up your techniques with quotes. And make sure it is relevant to the question.

Hale

but here is the my one teacher disagrees with me the most, the good ol' Ancient Mariner. according to my teacher the purpose of thwe poem is a demonstration of what happens when you kill 'gods creatures' (and i go to a public school!!!)
Haha amusing scruffy.

frazzle

HSC
you use your techniques to back up the point you are making, the theme you're talking about! never just list a technique for no reason, even if it's written really well, if you don't say why you brought it up then don't bring it up at all.

Tess 1987

that you dont have to go on a physical journey to experience beauty. The power of the mind takes us wherever we wish to go - and there is no such thing as a prison to the mind. Often we benefit from missing out on things we're looking forward to - that way we can really appreciate them when we DO get to experience them.

eth

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
oh and just to clear something up...it's patheism and not pathism (i hope that was a typo you made..:uhhuh: )
Actually, its pantheism... As in the pagan god of nature, Pan... I hope that was a typo on your part too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)