Circle Geo (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Faera
Well, now I know what circumscribes truly means- and considering i wasted hours of my life on this, I wont be forgetting it any time soon. -.-'
Thanks, guys.
Actually it is used incorrectly in this case, circumscribe means to enclose it in a circle (ie the circle should have surronded it)

I dont understand the first one, hmm I need a diagram, the way Im reading it is that T, P and Q would be points on the outside but it wouldnt be that because then they would obviously touch at T

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Above the box where you can post a reply is a button called post reply it looks like this

Click on it and then you will see attachements and go browse and add it that way.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
To prove they touch over there, you hafta prove there is a common tangent at T. Hrm. :confused:
This IS insane. lol, if i start to draw anymore lines, my diagram is gonna get messed up quicksmart.
hrm

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Thats what a CAD program is for :), plus my circles are actually circles

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, you can't seriously expect her to get a CAD program just to draw maths. >.<

anyway, any ideas Xayma? On how to do this one.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I have a demo of one it works well.

Well if we want to prove it is a common tangent we could either,

find another tangent from the same external point and prove they have the same length (probably not for this question)

Prove that the tangent and a radius at the point of contact has an angle of 90 degrees (we dont know the center but can find it because we have 3 concurrent points and hence the center is at the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors, however proving that it exists at T could be a problem)

Or prove that we have angles between the chord and the tangent = in an opposite segment (similarly).

Or we could try to prove that the distance from the other circle's edge is greater then the radius at all but T

It might be easiest to draw up a tangent at T to one of the circles draw a concurrent triangle using the three points in both and then try to prove using trig and other circle props that it must also be a tangent to the other circle

But then again the information about the other two circles would be crucial somehow...

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I might have the answer to it but its going to be a bugger to try and explain through typing but anyway. (ie I have 4 variables)
(Im using < for angle)
Let the Circle containing the points P, Q and T be circle M
Let the Circle containing the points R, S and T be circle N

Ok Let < PQT=a
Let < TQS=b
Let < SRT=c
Let < PRT=d
< TSQ= a (angle between tangent (PQ) and chord (QS) equals angle in opposite segment)
< RST=b (similarly)
< TPQ=d (similarly)
< TPR=c (similarly)

Now PQRS is a quadiralateral therefore 2(a+b+c+d)=360 degrees
therefore a+b+c+d=180 degrees.

Construct a tangent at T to circle N.

Let this tangent be UV.

Now UTR=b ( < between tangent and chord=angle in opposite segment)

Therefore < PTU=a
( < sum of Triangle PTR, a+b+c+d=180 degrees)

Since < PQT=a
UV is also a tangent to the circle M (angle between tangent and chord=angle in opposite segment)

Therefore circle M and circle N touch at point T (common tangent at that point).

If you dont understand any step tell me and I will construct a diagram for it.

Faera

Hey

I don't really understand proofs unless they're algebraic when I'm reading online, so what I'll do is print yours of, Xayma, and take a look at it tonight so I have a hard copy with me, (and there's also the bonus of being able to look at circles, not ellipses) and then I'll get back to you sometime tomorrow- - thanks for all the help =)

P.S. GC, i'll take a look at yours, too. =)

Thanks, again!
(yayyyyy)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)